Author Topic: Site troubles 6/5  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:09:10 pm
Site troubles 6/5
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »
Three site updates have failed at the DB populate stage for various reasons today.  If the current attempt does not complete before I need to leave (which is looking like the case), it will have to wait until I get home after 3:30 PM EDT.  Today's lesson: some of the error messages I give in the site update should kill the update immediately, since if I don't see them and it runs through to the DB update phase, the old (good) DB is gone before the new (bad) one tries to load up, and we're offline until I can rerun.  Site updates now take about 35 minutes from start to finish.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
Re: Site troubles 6/5
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:36:53 pm »
Thanks.

I thought site updates had been faster. What's the reason that they take longer now, errors only?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:39:38 pm »
Thanks.

I thought site updates had been faster. What's the reason that they take longer now, the errors?

They were faster, but a few new checks and other items add a little time.  But the single most expensive part is processing list files (about 13 minutes), and we now have more users and those users have more clinched segments.  Next time I look for efficiency improvements, that's my target.  I am thinking I might be able to introduce an extra data structure somewhere in there to improve things.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 03:43:10 pm »
Ok. Although it might cause longer update times I suggest adding more checks like a check for special characters, apostrophe et cetera.

btw: Site update completed :)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:45:52 pm »
Yes, we're back!

I agree extra checks are worth it.  Fortunately when things go well, it's only a few minutes during the actual DB update that the site is not usable.