Author Topic: Tennessee State Highways (usatn)  (Read 39035 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
Re: Tennessee State Highways (usatn)
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 03:20:17 pm »
We can deal with fairly easily, though it is a little bit of work - depends on how many are in use though - it could be 10 seconds a file, or a couple of minutes. Simply do find/replace on existing files and then reinsert the in use ones as hidden points.
I can see streamlining this with a few clever spreadsheet formulas, to just blindly give every one an AltLabel -- as long as you don't mind having the extraneous, unused AltLabels in the finished product...

Drawbacks include:
• Needing to know, before getting started, how many columns to include in the spreadsheet (maximum number of labels for any one point + 1)
• Snipping out extraneous whitespace before newlines after pasting the results back into the text editor. (find+replace " \n" -> "\n"; repeat until it's all gone)

OTOH, ISTR mapcat was one of those who expressed interest in cleaning up unused AltLabels in the thread on that topic, so perhaps this approach would be more trouble than it's worth, when factoring in that cleanup, vice, say, loading the pointsinuse into WPTedit and doing a find+relabel / find+demote.

So yeah, never mind, I guess?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline lkefct

• Last Login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:21 am
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 11:45:23 am »
Having lived in Tennessee for four years, I was very excited to see this up and rolling!

I know this system is very much in the early stages of development, but here are a couple things I've noticed:

The system itself should read *Tennessee* State Highways (Not Tenessee)
TN15: End label should be TN14 (Not TN15)
TN22BusHun: End labels should be TN22_S and TN22_N

Tennessee is a bit of a mess to deal with, but your work is very much appreciated!!

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 09:50:25 am
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:48 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I was going to contact you once it was complete, since you seem to have more mileage in the state than anyone, so it's good to see you found the topic on your own.

Hope you don't mind if I wait on making changes until all the routes have been uploaded. I only created the csvs so that the collaborators working on the Mississippi and Georgia state routes could grab the coordinates of the Tennessee highways that start at the border. Based on my work schedule I doubt that the usatn set will be complete before May at the earliest. At that point I'll switch it from development to preview, and will welcome your corrections (and anyone else's) then.

Meanwhile, if you have any thoughts regarding the initial questions below (primary/secondary sets vs a single set, and whether to include unsigned state routes that follow US highways), or if you're aware of anything else I ought to consider as I work on the set, I'd appreciate anything you'd like to contribute.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!
Clinched:

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:28 pm »
Well, I was wrong about the timing. Either that, or I'm slacking at work. Whatever the case, usatn is ready for peer review now.

Generally speaking, the main sources I used were the TDOT functional classification maps. On the positive side, they show TDOT-maintained and signed routes fairly clearly. On the negative, when TN routes follow US routes, these maps show concurrencies even in cases where the TN route is unsigned. I turned to GMSV to determine which concurrencies were signed.

My criteria for splitting routes into signed segments are explained below, and in almost all cases I kept to them. This sometimes resulted in me drafting routes that didn't exactly match what was posted in the field, mainly because what was posted was inconclusive or misleading. Example: according to signage in the field, TN54 turns south to follow US45E in Greenfield, but then signage stops. West of Bradford on US45E, TN54 is shown heading east and west, and it's also signed between US45E and TN105 in Bradford. I'm leaning towards changing it into two segments, one from Greenfield east and the other from 105 in Bradford west, but am open to suggestions.

Waypoint labels were based first on street signs as shown in GMSV, then property descriptions, then, if both failed, on OSM. OSM disagreed with what was posted/recorded enough that I lack confidence in its accuracy in Tennessee, especially in rural areas.

I also preferred using shaping points to named waypoints in places where the intersecting road was insignificant, so shaping points positioned near intersections with dead-end or other minor roads are usually intentional. This was meant to limit the number of less useful waypoints cluttering the lists in especially curvy roads, of which the state has plenty. I'll gladly add named waypoints for any user who needs one somewhere.

If anyone wants to see the spreadsheet with my notes on every route, just ask. I'll post it on Google docs.
Clinched:

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 03:43:52 am »
If anyone wants to see the spreadsheet with my notes on every route, just ask. I'll post it on Google docs.

Why don't you upload it to the usatn directory on GitHub? If there's any question - maybe after activation in 2 years - the reason for your decision is clear even if you would leave the project one day...

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »
Great to see this system in preview so quickly. :)

Discovered a misnamed waypoint on TN141, Waypoint 7 is named TN25E. I think it should be TN25_E. Minor, I know. I'm sure these issues will be found during the full peer review. I just noticed this as I was working on adding the TN routes to my list.

Is it best to make such comments here as we find them or is there a preferred way to report corrections?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:47:31 am
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 03:07:27 pm »
^^ this is the right place, and corrections to anything you see are welcome any time, not only as part of a full review.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 06:41:14 pm »
Why don't you upload it to the usatn directory on GitHub? If there's any question - maybe after activation in 2 years - the reason for your decision is clear even if you would leave the project one day...
Done. Link

Discovered a misnamed waypoint on TN141
Thanks. Fixed in my copy, which will be submitted tonight.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:50:58 am by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline dfilpus

• Last Login:Today at 08:14:19 am
    • Filpus Roadgeek
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 12:12:26 pm »
On TN62, a point at the Tuskegee/Tulane intersection in downtown Oak Ridge would be useful. It is the exit for the American Museum of Science and Energy, the visitor center for Oak Ridge Laboratory, which is the prime tourist attraction in Oak Ridge.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2017, 08:05:50 pm »
On TN62, a point at the Tuskegee/Tulane intersection in downtown Oak Ridge would be useful. It is the exit for the American Museum of Science and Energy, the visitor center for Oak Ridge Laboratory, which is the prime tourist attraction in Oak Ridge.

Sounds reasonable; it was hard to tell if that intersection or the one at Bethel Valley Rd were the most important for ORNL traffic. I'll keep BetValRd and add this one as well. Changed in my local files.
Clinched:

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 09:38:45 am »
Would if be possible to add a waypoint on TN54 at Haralson St in Brownsville? It's a short cut to TN19.

Had I been paying attention to highway signs, I might have continued on Main St to the corner where TN19 and TN54 intersect, rather than take the shortest route from Brownsville to Ripley. As it is I've covered about 2/3 of the distance between waypoints 7 and 8.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 01:30:55 pm »
Would if be possible to add a waypoint on TN54 at Haralson St in Brownsville? It's a short cut to TN19.

Had I been paying attention to highway signs, I might have continued on Main St to the corner where TN19 and TN54 intersect, rather than take the shortest route from Brownsville to Ripley. As it is I've covered about 2/3 of the distance between waypoints 7 and 8.

You know, I almost put one there because I could have used it too, but thought it was too close to TN19 to justify another waypoint. But now that someone else finds it useful, sure, I'll add it.
Clinched:

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
TN: US/usatn point requests/suggestions
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 09:26:45 pm »
This is a running log, as I slowly reconstruct my travels on Tennessee state routes (system just moved into preview) and related US routes. This is slow going while my vision recovers from yesterday's cataract surgery, but this is one way to use several weeks of downtime.

US 641:  Request/suggest a point for Main St. in Clifton, corresponding to the point at the other end on TN 128. My trip mapping files indicate I used Main St. as a shortcut between northbound US 641 (which then was part of TNs114) and northbound TN 128. Mu proposed waypoint perhaps could replace a nearby shaping point in the existing US 641 route file.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2017, 05:55:39 pm »
No problem to add that at all. Changed in my local files.

Best wishes with your recovery. Lots of time to plan more trips, I'm sure.

Clinched:

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2017, 10:44:38 pm »
Resuming my running log, as moved to this thread. No need to reply until I'm done.

TN 52:  US31E => US31E/231 (the existing label really confused me, since I was looking for the 231 junction)

Also, point request for the western junction of Celina Rd. between TN151 and OldGamRd (my actual return to TN 52 was on Nimm Rd., after a county-snagging foray on TN 151 -- but Celina Rd., just to the north, is a more reasonable point for other users).

TN 148:  WestBrowRd and EastBrowRd => WBrowRd and EBrowRd? (Not BrowRd_W and BrowRd_E, since they look like two separate Brow Roads that don't connect).

Also. point request for Lula Lake Rd., between GA/TN and WestBrowRd. Lula Lake is how I made the jump between TN 148 and GA 157 (which has its own LulaLakeRd points). But I could get by with WestBrowRd.

UPDATE: I think I've finished reconstructing my Tennessee state route travels (not much, most of my TN travels were on Interstates and US routes), and have no additional comments.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:08:15 pm by oscar »