Author Topic: usaga: Georgia State Highways  (Read 97530 times)

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:June 30, 2023, 02:59:08 pm
usaga: Georgia State Highways
« on: May 07, 2016, 11:38:08 am »
I am happy to say that the Georgia State Highways system is now in the works. 110 wpt files out of about 471 are drafted and merged into Github. They should be visible in the HB whenever the next site update is run.

Most of the drafted wpts are bannered routes and some important higher numbered routes like 300, 515, and 520.

-- Notes on development philosophy --

- GDOT signs multiplexes more often than not, roads that are multiplexed with US highways are included
- For bannered routes that I could not easily associate with a location, I left the city and abbreviation fields blank.
- Truck routes are omitted.
- Unsigned 400 series routes are omitted. (With exception to signed GA 410 and 404 Spur. GA 400 is not included since it's currently in usansf)

Currently working on bannered routes in descending order. Then I will draft main routes in descending order.

I am happy to take input on labeling errors and waypoint/shaping point placement and correct them.

-- Issues --

- GA 120 is signed as a loop on I-75 at Marietta but all other signage indicates the main 120 goes on the south loop while a 120 Alt takes the north loop. The source linked below says 120 still goes through Roswell St and doesn't show any bannered routes around the area. I am inclined to follow the surface street signage.

- Many times a bannered state route's parent is multiplexed with a US highway. Is it appropriate to label the endpoints of the bannered route (GAXXBus for example) as GAXX_N or USYY_N? I don't feel like I have been consistent in this situation.

-- Sources (Other than OSM) --

- GDOT GeoTRAQS - data is five years old though
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:13:47 am by michih »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:41:06 am
Re: usaga (Georgia State Highways) - In Development
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:49:19 pm »
The first set should now be live in the HB.  As a devel system, users cannot yet map travels.

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:13:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 07:43:53 pm »
- Many times a bannered state route's parent is multiplexed with a US highway. Is it appropriate to label the endpoints of the bannered route (GAXXBus for example) as GAXX_N or USYY_N? I don't feel like I have been consistent in this situation.

Parent of the bannered route.

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:09:14 am »
All of the remaining bannered routes are now on the site. I also fixed some labels in existing routes.

197 / 477 (41.3%) wpt files are now complete. (I found a few extra bannered routes)

The remaining 300 series routes are next to be done.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:05:24 am »
GA17Con:
- For bannered routes that I could not easily associate with a location, I left the city and abbreviation fields blank.
I don't think it's ever been done to have a bannered route without a City Or Abbrev. For my two cents I'm just more comfortable following precedent here, even if the results are imperfect names, somewhere the route doesn't pass through, etc.
Some possibilities include Autney or Warren County...

Interested to hear other CHM/TM veterans' take on this subject as well.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:13:27 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:46:44 pm »
GA17Con:
I don't think it's ever been done to have a bannered route without a City Or Abbrev. For my two cents I'm just more comfortable following precedent here, even if the results are imperfect names, somewhere the route doesn't pass through, etc.

I-69 Future in KY at first had no 'City/Abbrev' till a segment in the middle became a full Interstate.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 02:39:34 am »
I-69 Future in KY at first had no 'City/Abbrev' till a segment in the middle became a full Interstate.
And now, it has a city, but still no abbrev.
Were there ever any US Highway examples? State highways?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:37:06 am
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 05:41:43 am »
When (10 years ago?!?) Tim made the gbnm and gbnam files, he put abbreviations on the M6 Toll and the Ax(M) routes (despite, other than the A1(M), they were unique). When we moved to TM, I stripped them off as it was unnecessary filler - because they aren't bannered routes and shouldn't have been treated as such.

KY I-69 always seemed to not have a city field mostly as it covered the whole state.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 12:50:22 pm »
When (10 years ago?!?) Tim made the gbnm and gbnam files, he put abbreviations on the M6 Toll and the Ax(M) routes (despite, other than the A1(M), they were unique). When we moved to TM, I stripped them off as it was unnecessary filler - because they aren't bannered routes and shouldn't have been treated as such.
Not very familiar with the UK, and have spent very little time looking at it, but I agree with what you did.

KY I-69 always seemed to not have a city field mostly as it covered the whole state.
I looked over the CHM hwyupdates page last night, and there used to be another KY I-69Fut once upon a time. So there was one with, and one without, an abbrev. Looking again, apparently there was just the original I-69Fut; I-69FutMad was added later. So it doesn't appear to have been purposefully following the state hwy "One vanilla, rest with Abbrevs" convention (E.G. ME113, ME113Fry, etc.). Maybe when USAIF was first created, it wasn't foreseen that there'd be more than one Future Interstate segment with a given number within a state. I dunno man, I didn't do it.

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:34 am »
The update last night now includes All of the 300 series routes plus two GA6 business routes that I missed.
240 / 479 (50.1%) wpts are now plotted.
200 series routes are next.

GA17Con:

Looking at Google satellite imagery, It doesn't look like there is anything where the Autney lable is. I am open to using county names though.

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:26:52 pm »
Reminder for myself: Things to include on next pull request:

- Fix GA6BusDal label self-reference.
- Extend GA25SprBru to GA99
- Add shaping point on GA40 at St. Marys
- Fix labels on GA187
- Fix duplicate labels MainSt/CenAve on GA520
- Fix labels on GA204
- Add GA242SprSan
- Add GA230ConByr
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:40:14 am by theFXexpert »

Offline Presidentman

• Last Login:August 04, 2022, 11:02:46 am
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 05:02:46 pm »
In re: GA7AltVal & GA7BusVal

Having lived in Valdosta for twelve years, here are a couple of changes I would make:

• Add a waypoint at Brookwood Dr. on GA7Alt as this is the main thoroughfare for Valdosta State Univ. as well as the main connector between downtown and I-75 aside from US 84.
  • The waypoint marked "OldGA125" on GA7Bus is actually still GA 125.

Hope this helps. I am also willing to help out on this project as well as in FL as those are the two states where I've spent most of my time. In GA, I am best in Valdosta vicinity & south GA in general and NE part of Metro Atlanta (specifically Gwinnett County).

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 08:30:29 pm »
In re: GA7AltVal & GA7BusVal

Having lived in Valdosta for twelve years, here are a couple of changes I would make:

• Add a waypoint at Brookwood Dr. on GA7Alt as this is the main thoroughfare for Valdosta State Univ. as well as the main connector between downtown and I-75 aside from US 84.
  • The waypoint marked "OldGA125" on GA7Bus is actually still GA 125.
- Sure. I can add Brookwood Dr.
- Google Streetview images from June 2015 show GA125 ending at US41 (Perimeter Rd). Has it been extended?

Offline theFXexpert

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 10:39:26 pm »
200 series routes and the above mentioned fixes are up.

- Noticed a label self-reference on GA236 from the datacheck page. Will be fixed with the next batch which will be the 100 series.
- GA236 also has a partial interchange with I-85 HOV lanes (no ramps to general lanes). There's no corresponding point on I-85, so I left it out.
- GA246 crosses the NC border several times before turning becoming NC106. For simplicity, I kept it within the GA side of the border.

EDIT:
- US341 was mislabeled twice as US319 on GA230.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:53:35 am by theFXexpert »

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:25:11 am
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 05:17:59 pm »
- GA236 also has a partial interchange with I-85 HOV lanes (no ramps to general lanes). There's no corresponding point on I-85, so I left it out.

Is there a good reason to not have a point at I-85?  (Looking at I-66, I-95, and I-495 in NoVA we have points at interchanges that only connect to HOV/HOT lanes, though on I-495 we seem to leave out a couple at Tysons due to the proximity of VA 7, VA 123, and VA 267).

Looking at the .lists files for I-85 and GA 236, maybe have one on GA 236 and not on I-85 (as two points suffice nearby)??
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:22:40 pm by Markkos1992 »