Author Topic: Costa Rica  (Read 3830 times)

Offline rmatley

• Last Login:March 15, 2022, 11:30:13 am
Costa Rica
« on: March 07, 2022, 03:45:55 pm »
Anyone have any plans/desires to start work on developing Costa Rica's highway system? I'm headed there in a couple weeks for vacation, happy to do what I can to help while there, and afterwards. I'm new at this, so not sure how to start building out their route network, but interested in learning.

Ryan

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Re: Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 03:07:44 am »
There are a lot of potential systems in America beyond USA and Canada, see "Rest of America Master Thread". I don't think that anyone plans to start drafting routes in Costa Rica anytime soon.

We have a guideline for interested contributors. Please check this out: "How to become a highway data manager".

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:Yesterday at 09:23:42 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 04:56:40 pm »
NE2 was working on the Rutas Centroamericanas, but it appears he stopped and only (part of?) Guatemala was developed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:26:16 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 01:59:46 pm »
Encountered someone else saying "hey TM doesn't have Costa Rica" just this morning.

If no one else has started working on the Rutas Nacionales I may go ahead and do so.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 08:42:51 pm »
Primary System entering preview: https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/6691

There will be three systems for Costa Rica:
- Costa Rica Rutas Nacionales Primarias (crirp, tier 3). Routes numbered 1-39, signed with a clone of the USDA shield
- Costa Rica Rutas Nacionales Secundarias (crirs, tier 4). Routes in the 100s and 200s, signed with circles
- Costa Rica Rutas Nacionales Terciarias (crirt, tier 5). Routes in the 300s through 900s, signed with what I'll describe as an "inverted guitar pick"

Since the three systems are signed with different shields, logical to separate them in the HB.

crirp is now ready for peer review

One thing I'll go ahead and note: RP35 has a few short gaps which appear to be currently under construction. I have not split the route up since each unconstructed road segment is short and has a parallel through road for traffic to use. Each such segment has a usable point at each end in case anyone who drove the old road wants to mark a gap in their clinch once the modern alignment opens.

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 01:25:11 am »
One thing I'll go ahead and note: RP35 has a few short gaps which appear to be currently under construction. I have not split the route up since each unconstructed road segment is short and has a parallel through road for traffic to use. Each such segment has a usable point at each end in case anyone who drove the old road wants to mark a gap in their clinch once the modern alignment opens.

Did some further digging on this. It sounds like the road is actually only formally open north of the Quesada exit, so I'll just be cutting it back to that point which resolves this issue.

South of there, well, OSM has gone ahead and mapped all the sections of road that are physically built but none of them are actually open (and none of them have pavement markings it seems). Construction is stalled. Locals sometimes use the unfinished road anyway. But it's not a completed and  open section of Ruta 35 so it doesn't belong in the HB.