Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 226494 times)

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Yesterday at 01:47:59 pm
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 09:00:21 am »
Here's the 100k club. Active mileage is more North American-centric.
Code: [Select]
Rank Username ActiveMiles Active% PreviewMiles Preview%
1 mapcat 193715.29 31.44% 197206.58 23.91%
2 oscar 189021.63 30.68% 201423.44 24.42%
3 vespertine 168141.30 27.29% 171585.30 20.80%

It will take another year or two, but I hope to crack 100k before long. 90K will happen this year. Admittedly, it is much easier in North America. :)

Trips in TX; VT & NH; ID,OR, UT & NV; and TN & GA all within the next couple months. I like being able to check what I need to drive before I go. It doesn't mean I'll cover every route, but it helps identify routes I might otherwise bypass.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:35:49 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 05:08:02 am »
I've started detailed planning today. I'll start around LUX and I'll go to FRA and CHE... Maybe I can clinch another 4,000mi and reach 4.2%...

I'm back from a 2-week-travel. I had planned traveling about 9,300km (5,800mi) but I ended up having driven 12,300km (7,600mi). On average, I drove about 880km/day (540mi/day) instead of 660km/day (410mi/day).

I thought I would clinch another 4,000mi which I had not yet traveled but it was about 5,500mi :)
I've reached 4,48% now.

By region:

FRA +3,400mi
DEU +770mi
BEL +500mi
CHE +300mi
LUX +250mi
AUT +90mi
NLD +60mi

I've clinched luxa and luxb systems :)

I have some comments on French TM highway data I'll report soon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:11:14 am by michih »

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:15:41 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 09:54:39 pm »
On Friday I took a short trip intended to clinch all Indiana State Roads...only to discover that IN 340 existed when I got home and updated my .list. It's so close to US 40 that I didn't notice it on the map when I planned my route.

Weather was nice, wildlife stayed out of my way, and I made good time. The 1056-mile trip (net TM increase ~400 miles) took a little more than 19 1/2 hours.

I clinched 26 highways, including 14 I'd never driven on before. The IN 441 bridge across the Wabash River is being reconstructed and closed to traffic, and the detour would have taken me way out of the way, so I decided to clinch it by foot. The highway ends mid-bridge (at the state line) so it didn't take long to walk out and back, and was a good opportunity to stretch before the final 6 hours of driving.

The final segment of IN 641 is still under construction, but appears ready to open soon. When I go back to western Indiana in a few weeks to re-clinch that one, I should be able to get IN 340 on the way.
Clinched:

Offline bejacob

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 10:30:02 am »
I'm off to Youngstown and Cleveland this weekend to clinch the last 16 miles of Interstates in Ohio (about half of I-680 and several miles of I-80). Undoubtedly will drive some new mileage on both US and OH routes in the process. It won't be enough to push me past 50% of the clinchable mileage in the state, but I'll be a little closer.

Still striving to pass 100,000 miles. That's a ways off yet.

Offline bejacob

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »
I'm off to Youngstown and Cleveland this weekend to clinch the last 16 miles of Interstates in Ohio ...

Completed that plus a bit more. Added just shy of 400 new miles. Not bad for a weekend. Some US routes, some state routes. Still a couple percentage points below 50% for the entire state.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:00:41 pm
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 08:35:15 am »
I noticed a new user Yasubee_Horibe is (I believe) our first to mark mileage as clinched in North Korea.  I didn't realize one of the Asian preview systems passed through North Korea, nor do I know how any user who has access to this site would be able to travel there.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:35:49 pm
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 09:13:00 am »
I noticed a new user Yasubee_Horibe is (I believe) our first to mark mileage as clinched in North Korea.

The user has even clinched 100% of our routes drafted in North and South Korea: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=Yasubee_Horibe.

Offline bejacob

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 06:11:57 pm »
Off to greater Los Angeles in early February. Just a weekend trip which will span 8 counties (Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Kern).

Expect to complete clinches of I-110, I-405, I-710. Also plan on clinching I-105, I-210, I-605 for which I don't  have any posted mileage (I know I've driven I-105 between CA1 and I-405, but for some reason I haven't included it in my list ???). Additional mileage on I-5, I-10, I-15, US101, and a few CA state routes are on my agenda as well. I'll still have a gap in I-5 between San Ysidro and Irving, but from there to the Canadian border will be complete.

Lots of driving, but hopefully the weekend traffic won't be too bad.  :)

Then it's off to Kauai and Oahu in March where I hope to clinch the remaining routes on both islands. I'm treating myself with a trip to the 50th state for my 50th birthday.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:01:27 pm by bejacob »

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
  • Last Login:January 12, 2023, 02:02:21 pm
  • I want to be the first one to collect them all!
    • Travel Mapping User Page
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:44 pm »
I have a quick, 2-day trip planned for the Twin Cities sometime in the near future, here is the route:
-The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... on the gas.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
  • Last Login:January 12, 2023, 02:02:21 pm
  • I want to be the first one to collect them all!
    • Travel Mapping User Page
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 01:35:41 pm »
nor do I know how any user who has access to this site would be able to travel there.
I found an article stating that in January of 2010, North Korea changed its policy to allow U.S. travelers to visit on official guided tours any time of the year.

Sources:
http://travel.cnn.com/how-travel-north-korea-042681/
http://wikitravel.org/en/North_Korea
-The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... on the gas.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:31:47 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 09:38:04 pm »
Just returned from a 10 day trip to Florida...picked up about 500 new primary miles during my brief stop in Melbourne followed by a week in St Petersburg.

Got 2 national clinches: I-4 and US 92

Plus: I-175, I-375, Fut I-795/FL 9B, US 19 ALT, FL 54 (western section), FL 501, FL 507,  FL 594, FL 595, FL 679, FL 682, FL 687, FL 688, FL 694

Also clinched these unsigned routes: FL 93A, FL 592, FL 599, FL 600

Almost got these: FL 618 (didn't get express lane east of I-75); FL 699 (didn't get CR 694 to FL 688)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:29:37 pm by mapmikey »

Offline bejacob

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 12:10:45 pm »
Currently in Hawaii. Completed clinches of HI state routes on Kauai. HI5600 is still not signed other than small white "5600" placards attached to the mile markers. No route shields anywhere along the route.

Kauai is bit confusing as several county highways 520, 530, 543, 552, and 581 (think that's all of them) use the same route shield as the state highways. I drove all but 543 and 581. Didn't see any reason to go out of my way for these two, despite their relatively short mileage. The others just happened to be route I needed to get from place to place.  :)

Over to Oahu in a couple days. Plan to clinch the remaining mileage on the island. That will leave me with a few routes on the Big Island, about half of Maui, and all of Molokai and Lanai left if I want to complete the state. I'll have to decide how important that is. For now, it's not at the top of my wish list.   ;)

Offline bejacob

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 11:11:35 pm »
Currently in Oahu, with just a few segments left to clinch on the island. 

I had one moment of confusion as I tried to complete my clinch of HI92 at the entrance to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. I had planned to drive as close to the gate as possible without entering, but the way the traffic cones were arranged, I had no choice but to go through the gate. Luckily, I work for the DoD and had my government ID on me, so I showed it to the guard and drove right in. Having no reason to be on an active military base, I quickly found a place to turn around and leave. On the plus side, I can safely say I clinched the entire route.  ;D

On a separate note, I flew over to Kalaupapa on Molokai. Didn't collect any routes there, but I can now say I've visited Kalaweo County. County collectors will understand.  :)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:38:46 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 11:41:28 pm »
I had one moment of confusion as I tried to complete my clinch of HI92 at the entrance to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. I had planned to drive as close to the gate as possible without entering, but the way the traffic cones were arranged, I had no choice but to go through the gate. Luckily, I work for the DoD and had my government ID on me, so I showed it to the guard and drove right in. Having no reason to be on an active military base, I quickly found a place to turn around and leave. On the plus side, I can safely say I clinched the entire route.  ;D

I was similarly trapped into going through the gate, without an ID. Fortunately, that was pre-9/11 and there was no heightened security, so the sentry was pleasant enough about getting me turned around just after the gate. The signage on the freeway then had "Pearl Harbor" as the destination for HI 92 westbound, which misled tourists into going to the base entrance when they wanted to go to the Arizona Memorial. The signs have been fixed to replace "Pearl Harbor" with "Naval Base", so the sentries might now be less understanding about lost tourists without DoD IDs.

On a separate note, I flew over to Kalaupapa on Molokai. Didn't collect any routes there, but I can now say I've visited Kalaweo County. County collectors will understand.  :)

Excellent! Who's leading the tours there? Gloria Marks took over after her husband (who led the tour I took in 1999) passed away. I hope she is still alive and well, and still able to lead the tours.

Also, any photos of the "unwelcome" sign exiting the airport, warning it is against the law to visit Kalaupapa without a state permit? My webpage on Kalawao County has a quarter-century-old photo of the airport exit sign.

Offline bejacob

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 01:11:01 pm »
Excellent! Who's leading the tours there? Gloria Marks took over after her husband (who led the tour I took in 1999) passed away. I hope she is still alive and well, and still able to lead the tours.

Also, any photos of the "unwelcome" sign exiting the airport, warning it is against the law to visit Kalaupapa without a state permit? My webpage on Kalawao County has a quarter-century-old photo of the airport exit sign.

I didn't take any pictures of the "unwelcome" sign. There are posted notices indicating that that permits are needed to enter the area. Luckily the company I toured with took care of all that. I flew in with www.makanikaiair.com after booking their "Damien" tour. I opted for the fly-in, fly-out version, so did not ride the mules or hike the trail. On the way back to HNL, I did have to make a brief stop at the Topside airport, so I did add two new airports to my list of places visited (LUP and MKK). Check out the airport at LUP.

I figured I needed to collect this county and this visit to Hawaii turned out to be the right time to do so.