Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 226555 times)

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 17, 2024, 01:47:59 pm
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »
Also, any photos of the "unwelcome" sign exiting the airport, warning it is against the law to visit Kalaupapa without a state permit? My webpage on Kalawao County has a quarter-century-old photo of the airport exit sign.

Turns out I did photograph the sign, though only in the context of a larger view of the area. It's probably too small to read, but the white sign on the right side of the road says

NO ENTRY BEYOND
THIS POINT WITHOUT
A VISITOR PERMIT
VIOLATORS ARE
SUBJECT TO ARREST
HRS 326-39

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:38:46 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21:22 pm »
Also, any photos of the "unwelcome" sign exiting the airport, warning it is against the law to visit Kalaupapa without a state permit? My webpage on Kalawao County has a quarter-century-old photo of the airport exit sign.

Turns out I did photograph the sign, though only in the context of a larger view of the area. It's probably too small to read, but the white sign on the right side of the road says

NO ENTRY BEYOND
THIS POINT WITHOUT
A VISITOR PERMIT
VIOLATORS ARE
SUBJECT TO ARREST
HRS 326-39

That text is exactly as it was a quarter-century ago. I'll have to note that on my Kalawao County page.

BTW, I took the mule ride. While I didn't have to dodge all the "mule apples" on the trail, mt jeans were so smelly afterwards that I just left them behind on Molokai before flying off to the next island.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:27:11 pm by oscar »

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »
So, I took my first trip to Hawaii this past week, traveling on the roads of Maui. That's what made me most excited to go there, lol. ;D Anyway, we made a complete loop around the west part of the island, including on Hwy 340, which is much sharper and narrower than the famous road to Hana. We did that as a spur of the moment type of thing, after having tried to go see the Iao Needle, only to discover that the road to it was closed from flooding. So we decided to head back to our condo near Napili via Hwy 340 around the northern part of the island, on a route that is far more curvy, far narrower (it was the width of a driveway at one point), but far more scenic than the road to Hana since it hugged the coastline more. (of course, that freaked my mom out more being on the edge of the cliff) Unfortunately, since most of that highway is just a county road and not a state highway (makes sense, right?), it's not going to show up as a complete loop on the map here.

We also went up Haleakala, and did many of the other touristy things, including the road to Hana, as well as snorkeling and going on a zipline (fun!).

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:38:46 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 02:51:38 pm »
So we decided to head back to our condo near Napili via Hwy 340 around the northern part of the island, on a route that is far more curvy, far narrower (it was the width of a driveway at one point), but far more scenic than the road to Hana since it hugged the coastline more. (of course, that freaked my mom out more being on the edge of the cliff) Unfortunately, since most of that highway is just a county road and not a state highway (makes sense, right?), it's not going to show up as a complete loop on the map here.

I drove 340 in January, as well as on earlier trips to Maui. Believe it or not, it used to be worse. At least most of it now has edge stripes. A few short stretches are wide enough to get a center stripe. There is a reason why, when in the late 1960s the state split up the combined state/county highway network into separate state and county networks, the state fobbed off that short piece of the northwest Maui loop on Maui County. But the state did keep part of the loop in HI 30, and also in HI 340 on the other side.

I liked how, on a busy Saturday morning, a teenage girl was directing traffic at a sharp one-lane turn (with no pavement striping at all) into Kahakuloa village, to get one direction of traffic over as far to the right edge of pavement as possible, so a line of traffic going the other way could squeeze by.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:54:42 pm by oscar »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:00:41 pm
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 09:36:26 am »
I noticed a new user Yasubee_Horibe is (I believe) our first to mark mileage as clinched in North Korea.

The user has even clinched 100% of our routes drafted in North and South Korea: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=Yasubee_Horibe.

This same user has now clinched all highways in Morocco.  I do not believe any other user has any highways marked as clinched in Morocco.

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 17, 2024, 01:47:59 pm
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 10:03:53 am »
Upcoming driving this weekend in UT, WY, and ID. Not sure it it will enough to put me over 100,000 in the "active and preview systems" column. Looks like I'm 851.46 miles short going into this trip. I'm expecting to drive over 1,000 miles, but some of it will be on already clinched mileage. I guess I'll have to see how close I get.

Still have quite a bit more to go on just the active systems to reach that mark.

I feel like it's a noteworthy "mile"stone.  :D

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:12:02 pm
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 12:30:35 pm »
This same user has now clinched all highways in Morocco.  I do not believe any other user has any highways marked as clinched in Morocco.
And Senegal, Tunisia and Gabon.

These African travels make some sense - smallish networks and easily enough clinchable on a vacation. And one can argue 100% in baja california fits the pattern. The Chinese travels look alright - one trip.

The confusing thing is 100% of both Koreas. South Korea has a large expressway network that you can't do in just a holiday, and North Korea wouldn't let you in if you spent a period of time in the South.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 03:12:30 pm »
North Korea happened first, perhaps?
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 14, 2024, 08:16:12 pm
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 08:40:44 pm »
I snagged the remainders of OR 38, 36 and 200 a few days ago, 100% completing the Willamette Valley routes. 200, of course, is still unsigned.

This leaves 42S, 241, 255, and 542 for the Coastal routes, 66, 99 (south of Yoncalla), 138 (east of Roseburg), 140 (west of White City), 227, 229, 234, and 273 for the Rogue Valley/Southern Cascades routes.

Next trip will be finishing off US 26, picking up OR 380, 27, 370, 361, portions of US 97 and all of 197.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 02:35:49 pm
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 10:33:17 am »
Wow, we have a traveler who has clinched Mexico. Just by one vacation?!

Offline 7/8

• Last Login:January 27, 2024, 09:32:10 pm
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 12:36:28 pm »
I'm pretty well done my "Prairies Trip", and I'll be flying home from Saskatoon this evening. This was my first time in SK and MB, so I knocked off two more provinces!

My university friend is from Saskatoon, and his parents offered to have me stay with them, and for my friend and I to borrow their car for the week (which is a big deal since renting a car when you're under 25 is ridiculously expense). We ended up driving to Regina by SK 11 on the first day and spent the day visiting some museums. The next day, we drove to Winnipeg by TCH 1 with a detour up SK 10 to Fort Qu'Appelle and back down SK 56. My friend was impressed by the big hills, which he didn't think existed in Saskatchewan :).

We then spent the day in Winnipeg before driving out to Portage la Prairie to stay the night. The next morning, we clinched the short TCH 1A and headed up to Wasagaming to do some hiking. We accidently took MB 262 north out of Minnedosa, we lost me the other 16A clinch (darn). Clear Lake was still frozen, and the wind blowing off the lake was quite cold! After some photos, we did the Arrowhead trail which was warmer. We then drove MB 10 south to MB 45 (which I am the only one here to have driven and clinched) :). We followed TCH 16 west to Yorkton to stay the night. Finally, we took 16A through Yorkton (another short clinch) out of town and headed up 16 west to Saskatoon. We made a quick stop at the Quill Lakes for some pictures.

Unfortunately, I messed up my list file with some extra spaces, but my route should be fixed after the next update. I'm hoping someone is working on developing the SK system :)

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2017, 05:43:24 pm »
Wow, we have a traveler who has clinched Mexico. Just by one vacation?!

Perhaps they have done many travels in Mexico over the years, and they just found this website and are inputting them all.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:12:02 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2017, 07:11:04 pm »
Or they live there. It's also not like it's a totally un-updated with two fairly small-sized systems that isn't too onerous to cover.
http://tm.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?u=yasubee_horibe&sys=mexd,mexed

It's Mr 'clinched Korea' (though not any more) - I'm sure there wasn't all those Mexican states done earlier in the week. I guess it is filling in the log file piecemeal and then perhaps purging as Korea has been stripped back.

http://tm.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?u=yasubee_horibe&sys=tuna,mara,sena,gaba
http://tm.teresco.org/user/mapview.php?u=yasubee_horibe&rg=KOR,PRK,CHN-JL,CHN-HL,CHN-LN <-notice fixed Korea

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 12:53:12 pm »
This guy often removes and adds lines...

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 01:37:25 am »
Not sure it it will enough to put me over 100,000 in the "active and preview systems" column.

99993.87 :)

However, you're log file still indicates 4 errors (and an "Incorrect format line: ")
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:39:38 am by michih »