Author Topic: NJ 15's south end  (Read 4226 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
NJ 15's south end
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:52:21 am »
From the old CHM forum:
Quote from: Mapmikey
NJ 15's south end has moved so that it no longer curls underneath US 46.  This is shown on GMSV.  i did not get to field check this one on my ride yesterday so i do not know if NJ 15 is still assigned to the piece south of US 46 or not.
The piece south of US46 is still shown as NJ15 in NJDOT shapefiles dated 2015-09-16, and as state route on on the Morris county map.
On to GMSV, then, where we find this and this...
OK, so that doesn't mean much, right?
Normally, for us to consider the route as 'signed', there needs to be at least a shield on the mainline
Indeed, ISTR that when usanj was created back in the day, a couple routes were left off due to only being signed on street blade signs, and not with a proper route shield. Though, maybe... is this the way NJ does things sometimes? If you look at the same intersection in 2008 in GMSV, there are still no full-size route markers. Just the blade signs. Also, even then, there was no signage for the turn at Bergen & Clinton Streets. Meh.
And, a little more searching in GMSV yields this. From Oct 2013, well after the completion of the reconstruction that dead-ended the southern piece.
Ow, my head...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:31:20 pm
Re: NJ 15's south end
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:45 am »
Normally, for us to consider the route as 'signed', there needs to be at least a shield on the mainline
Indeed, ISTR that when usanj was created back in the day, a couple routes were left off due to only being signed on street blade signs, and not with a proper route shield. Though, maybe... is this the way NJ does things sometimes?

IMO we should look at how individual states do things and take that into consideration when deciding whether it's signed or not. If signage on the actual highway is necessary for a route to be included in Florida, that's fine, but that shouldn't necessarily carry over to New Jersey.
Clinched:

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:25:35 pm »
Agreed. Though, I'm not really familiar enough with how NJ does things to have a very well informed opinion o signage, blade signs, etc.

In my mind, the decision is whether to include just one segment of NJ15 (south end at the new Clinton St alignment & US46), or two segments.
Regardless of what we'd do elsewhere, I don't think an implied multiplex along US46 (along McFarlan St from Clinton St to Bergen St) is appropriate: that would have the effect of reversing the direction/point order of the southernmost piece of the route. This sign would have to read "NORTH 15", which is clearly not what's going on.

I asked Steve Alpert about the south end of NJ15, and he replied:
TBD.
they will eventually get rid of that small piece once they do some intersection work
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 02:41:54 pm »
In my mind, the decision is whether to include just one segment of NJ15 (south end at the new Clinton St alignment & US46), or two segments.
In any case, the main nj.nj015 file needs the same changes. The only question is whether to include the second piece. Per Steve Alpert's info, I'm inclined to regard it as a moribund, vestigial route and just leave it out.
Nothing says this can't change in the future. Leaving this topic marked as unsolved for a bit.

https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/pull/1229