Author Topic: VA: US 58 ALT Business in Norton  (Read 2395 times)

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:58:32 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
VA: US 58 ALT Business in Norton
« on: March 06, 2016, 03:31:41 pm »
Starting a separate thread for this...

There have been questions over the last few years whether this route exists and whether it should be included in TM systems.

US 58 ALT Bus is posted on both ends, plus where it moves from Kentucky Av to 11th St.  In between it is fairly consistently posted as mainline US 58 ALT (leftover signage - US 58 ALT was moved onto the US 23 freeway when it opened).  This has been true several years at least.

On paper, Kentucky and 11th Sts are Urban Routes (2014 traffic log, 2016 shapefiles) and the piece near the east end that is not also US 23 Business is VA 283.

To a traveler it would appear it exists.  And to me as someone who has some insight on the Virginia system, had these changes occurred yesterday, I would say it existed because Virginia no longer does a good job documenting their primary system changes.  But because it happened long enough ago that the CTB was still documenting stuff (VA 283 was specifically defined in 1991), I know that it did not exist initially.

So the question is what to do?  I am more inclined to include it than not, but I am open to thoughts on this...

Mike
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:05:27 pm by michih »

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
Re: VA: US 58 ALT Business in Norton
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 07:30:39 am »
Someone should double-check, but I believe we've had one or two cases in the past where a signed route that existed was later decommissioned, but some signs remained.  This, to me, falls under that sort of scenario, and I would be inclined to NOT include it.

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:58:51 am »
Someone should double-check, but I believe we've had one or two cases in the past where a signed route that existed was later decommissioned, but some signs remained.  This, to me, falls under that sort of scenario, and I would be inclined to NOT include it.

I think of it slightly differently:  A mainline route moves to a bypass and the old route through town doesn't get the 'business' banners throughout.  To be fair Virginia does not have a lot of this scenario (though VA 234 and US 60 come to mind) compared to say South Carolina where this is pretty common. 

I also have no problem leaving it out.  It is mostly duplexed with US 23 Business anyway...

Mike

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 09, 2024, 02:19:30 am
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 05:12:44 pm »
Has this been solved?

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:54:48 am »
This is too far away to field check for me.

GMSV has not been updated in Norton since this thread was started.  I did notice looking just now that VA 283 has US 58 ALTERNATE signs on it that it didn't used to have (westbound) in 2008.

The 2016 Traffic Log continues to call VA 283 as such and shows US 23 Bus with no overlay of any other route.

So there is no change in the evidence that would indicate adding US 58 ALT Bus as a route.