Author Topic: IN: IN 912  (Read 2415 times)

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:23:53 am
IN: IN 912
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:28:01 am »
Not sure offhand who's maintaining Indiana, and not sure how it was decided to split the IN 912 route, so I wanted to bring this topic up to discuss.

Currently, the IN 912 route is split into two components, as a result of the closure of the IN 912 bridge over the Indiana Harbor Canal in 2009, and later dismantling of the bridge by INDOT.

However, the bridge and IN 912 over the canal are not dead.  Per the Chicago Tribune, construction began on a new bridge this spring.  Furthermore, the TM gap does not make accommodation for those of us who traveled the route before the bridge closed.

Not sure what the solution is here, if one is needed.  Open to discussion/options.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:34:42 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: IN: IN 912
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:44 am »
I guess it's a matter of whether the bridge closure was intended to be permanent, only INDOT later changed its mind and decided to re-connect the two route segments, or whether the closure was intended to be temporary all along (depending on scraping up the $ for a bridge replacement). If the latter, I'm not sure the route should've been split in the first place.

That the bridge was not immediately replaced, and has been closed for seven years and counting, to me doesn't preclude treating the closure as "temporary".
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:31:24 am by oscar »

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:23:28 am
Re: IN: IN 912
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:55:10 am »
CHM had it (not correctly mapped) in two sections as the closure was seen as more than temporary.

I'm going to leave it off until the new bridge opens.