Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 229113 times)

Offline Eth

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 04:01:53 pm
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2017, 08:41:32 am »
I decided to go on a three-hour drive this afternoon and clinch ON 23 and ON7Wat (the first user for both of these). The weather was to good to pass up the opportunity :)
Your post reminded me to check and see that I'm the only driver for ME188. :)

I've got a couple of those lurking in Wyoming. WYO 77 and WYO 196.

Now that I've finally added in my GA state collection, I have a few too - not counting various short auxiliary routes, I'm the only driver for GA84 and the only one to have clinched GA142 and (naturally) GA155.

Online rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:08:33 pm
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2017, 11:49:52 pm »
I maintain my list in a MS Word (2013) file. Ever since I found a workaround for the hidden character issue, I haven't worried about fixing the problem. I suppose I should deal with it at some point. Maybe now is the time.

Try Notepad++.  That's what I use to edit my list file and wpt while I'm working with them offline.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2017, 09:32:46 am »
I just use regular Notepad.  Much simpler.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:44:01 pm
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2017, 01:40:33 pm »
I just use regular Notepad.  Much simpler.

You cannot view hidden characters like bejacob had 

Notepad++ is MUCH better than Notepad. Undo with more than 1 step, compare, duplicate,...

However, Notepad should usually be good enough for editing list files.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:03:34 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017, 01:34:53 am »
I limped home Thursday evening from a week-and-a-half long road trip, on a sidewinding route through most of the southeastern states. Major route clinches included US 72, US 78, and US 301 (had been missing a very short segment long closed for interchange reconstruction), as well as the entire Natchez Trace Parkway from near Nashville to southwestern Mississippi (not yet mappable in TM, it's in an in-dev national parks roads system).

Some other objectives of the trip were to gauge whether I've recovered enough from my eye surgery in February to do road trips this summer before I go in for more surgery in the autumn, and also whether my car had recovered enough from last summer's breakdowns to be trusted for travel outside my local area. The first objective was met, and it was looking good on the second through day 8. Bur car problems on days 9 and 10 (including apparent recurrence of one of last summer's problems) leave the second an open question. I'll wait until the mechanics are done fixing my car, before planning additional travels for this year.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 04:37:32 pm
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2017, 08:05:26 am »
Bur car problems on days 9 and 10 (including apparent recurrence of one of last summer's problems) leave the second an open question. I'll wait until the mechanics are done fixing my car, before planning additional travels for this year.
Rent one!

Good to know your vision has recovered.
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2017, 03:00:28 am »
Bur car problems on days 9 and 10 (including apparent recurrence of one of last summer's problems) leave the second an open question. I'll wait until the mechanics are done fixing my car, before planning additional travels for this year.
Rent one!

I hate dealing with rental car agencies, about as much as I hate air travel. Besides, I have another vehicle, just that it's a gas hog pickup truck I'd rather not use for long trips.

I got my Prius back from the mechanic yesterday. It seems its problem was one of the more unusual ones, that it has two water pumps, and the second one (for the separate hybrid inverter cooling system) was emitting impending failure codes. Now that's been replaced, I feel comfortable trying at least one more road trip in the Prius.

Good to know your vision has recovered.

Thanks! To be clear, the non-operated eye still is weak for reading vision, so it'll need its own cataract removal surgery, after summer travel season is over.

Offline 7/8

• Last Login:January 27, 2024, 09:32:10 pm
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2017, 02:37:07 pm »
I did a drive this morning/early afternoon to finish clinching ON 24. I also got a large portion of ON 3 (from Simcoe to New Sarum).

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:March 26, 2024, 02:31:28 pm
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2017, 05:08:02 pm »
Heading to Aruba for a few days. At the moment, I'm one of only 3 users to have any mileage logged in the region, though currently 3rd out of 3. If all goes well, I will clinch all the routes on the island.

Offline JJBers

• Last Login:October 18, 2023, 11:35:53 pm
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2017, 11:59:30 pm »
I went to southern New Hampshire yesterday, allowing me to fully clinch I-91 in Mass.
From Eastern Connecticut

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:58:32 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2017, 03:43:58 pm »
Took a ride on Saturday...1035 miles and 18.5 hrs:

Drove to Norwalk CT, Bennington VT, Oneonta NY, Harrisburg PA

Clinches: NJ 4, I-95 (NY), US 7 (CT,MA), VA 279, I-787, NY 7B

Picked up new mileage: I-95 (CT - from NY to US 7), US 7 (VT - from MA to VT 9), NY 7 (Troy to NY 22)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2017, 06:14:59 pm »
I was on the road for a week and a half, ending yesterday. I went to eastern Canada via Niagara Falls (new mileage in OH/PA/NY), and returning by ferry (Bay Ferries' "the CAT") then picking up new highway mileage in ME, MA, RI, CT, and eastern NY and PA. My travels in Canada included parts of ON, QC, NB, and NS, skipping past PEI.

I finished off the remaining QC and NS gaps in my coverage of the Trans-Canada Highway system (got the hardest part, BC TCHYel Haida Gwaii, last year). Also re-completed my total coverage of the ON, NS, and QC freeway systems, though the last may be undone later this year by a planned extension of A-70. While QC roads funding has tightened lately, it remains a happening place for road construction, and so still like the Interstate system a bit of a moving target. Also clinched all of US 44; US 62 in PA and NY; and with those completed my coverage of primary (non-bannered) US routes in PA, NY, and RI.

I'm still catching up on things, including adding the new canqc preview system to my list file (still a lot of work to reconstruct my travels there), and working on some more travel before I go in for more eye surgery in September.

Offline bejacob

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2017, 04:34:27 pm »
Heading to Aruba for a few days. At the moment, I'm one of only 3 users to have any mileage logged in the region, though currently 3rd out of 3. If all goes well, I will clinch all the routes on the island.

Well, I didn't quite clinch all 7 routes on the island. I completed 6 of them. Actual route signage on the route itself is almost non-existent on Aruba. Generally speaking, the only places where routes are signed is at the roundabouts where they intersect with other major roads.

It was fairly easy to follow Rt1A and Rt1B from end to end as they were probably the best marked routes, probably because they are the main ones used by tourists. Routes 2, 3, and 4 weren't bad either, though a few times I found myself wondering if I was still on the proper road. I saw no signage at all for routes 6 and 7, in fact part of route 7 (between Rt1B and Rt4) seemed to be signed at Route 5 (it's easier to see on OSM vs. Google Maps). The rest of the route (to Arikok NP) had no route signage at all. I think what's in the HB is probably right, but the lack of consistent route markings makes it difficult to be sure.

I did move up from 3rd to 1st for routes driven and clinched on the island. Perhaps when I get back to Aruba, I can pick up the other ~5 miles I need to complete the last section. 

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2017, 07:31:21 pm »
FYI, you'll be back to 2nd once I update my lists.  Didn't realize we had Aruba now, and I've been on all of it...😊

Offline bejacob

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2017, 08:49:56 pm »
Guess I'll savor this while it lasts.