Author Topic: VA:I-95 (Exit 168?)-plus other exit numbering errors or needed points?  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:49:10 am
The exit from the HOT Lanes on I-95 at VA 289 is marked as Exit 168 though there is no exit number for that.

Also Mike you may want to look at a few other areas such as I-95 in Downtown Richmond and Petersburg, I-495(HOT Lanes) at Jones Branch Drive, I-295 at US 1 and I-95, etc. for any minor discrepancies that I will leave to your discretion.  The point for I-295 at US 1 is marked as Exit 43A despite the exits there being 43C and 43D.

-Mark AKA 74/171FAN

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 06:38:32 pm
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
I think what was done for the Hot Lanes is that the mile marker was used and where that wasn't available, the route number was used (US 29 on I-495 Hot lanes).  VDOT does want to make an Exit 168 from the mainline to VA 289 though this is not imminent.

For the Tysons Corner HOT lane exits, while they are separate exits not available to the mainline, they are physically located within an existing mainline interchange (or very close) so my guess is that the decision was that the existing points were close enough.

I looked at the Richmond area stuff.  I would be inclined to have on I-95 a 74A 74B and 74C.  Don't know why on I-295 it is 43A instead of 43C.

Petersburg is strange because one particular interchange is 50D northbound and 52 southbound.

Mike

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:52:57 pm
In Richmond, why isn't the I-64/I-95/I-195 interchange a single point?
Clinched:

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator
I-64 EB has two separate exit numbers for I-195 (Exit 186) and I-95 (Exit 187) there.  That is probably why.

Offline froggie

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 16, 2024, 06:40:23 pm
In Richmond, why isn't the I-64/I-95/I-195 interchange a single point?

IIRC, this was discussed long ago, and the decision was to treat them as separate interchanges.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 05:52:57 pm
I-64 EB has two separate exit numbers for I-195 (Exit 186) and I-95 (Exit 187) there.  That is probably why.
OK, and I-95 has one interchange (79) there, as does I-195 (unnumbered according to GMSV) <shrug>. Regardless, the intersection is badly misaligned, with a segment of I-195 left unattached to anything at its north end, which is what initially attracted my attention.

One more I noticed: in Petersburg, I-85 is missing exit 69 (in between ramps to I-95 S and I-95 N).
Clinched:

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
OK, and I-95 has one interchange (79) there, as does I-195 (unnumbered according to GMSV) <shrug>. Regardless, the intersection is badly misaligned, with a segment of I-195 left unattached to anything at its north end, which is what initially attracted my attention.

One more I noticed: in Petersburg, I-85 is missing exit 69 (in between ramps to I-95 S and I-95 N).

I-195 is also 2 exits from the I-95 NB point of view.

As for Exit 69 on I-85, this may have been viewed with this CHM rule in mind: Exits 4 & 5 in one interchange. For a single interchange with ramps given different exit numbers, use the lower number.

Exit 69 is within the physical confines of Exit 68.  The I-85 on-ramp from Wythe St also intermingles with the I-95/85 interchange.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 11:18:57 pm
  • I like C++
I'd also say Exit 69 is within the confines of Exit 68, and thus, single interchange.
See also: CT I-291 1.

I would say, go with two points on this one.
WRT graphing algorithms: VA I-64 186 & VA I-195 I-64 are at nearby coords; assuming it's close enough to count as a junction, routing stuff between the three roads could still work here. Though from a visual/graphing perspective, the hanging end of I-195 is a bit unsightly. Seeing a similar hanging end on NY I-278 is what prompted me to start a cleanup operation there.

This reminds me of the I-96/696/275/MI5 junction mess I tackled a couple months ago. This looks like another case where it's darn near impossible to do right.

If I were drafting this all now... I'd leave the 64/195 junction where it is. VA I-95 79 (and thus VA I-64 187), I'd put midway between the two sets of flyovers, on the I-95 centerline. (This does break with Tim's "middle of the central ramp triangle" guideline, but I don't always believe that's the most appropriate thing to do in all cases.)
As for the end of I-195? I dunno man, that 90° turn toward I-95 might look a bit ugly. I could do that, or I might be inclined to do something a little similar to I-275 from the Michigan example above, and end I-195 where it hits the interchange complex, at I-64, and consider the bits north of that as just ...ramps. It still works from a graphing perspective.

Wibbly-wobbly, rampy-wampy, STUFF...

This post is just for philosophical purposes, and isn't intended to advocate for or against editing or not editing any files any particular way.

BTW, I haven't actually looked at any of the stuff discussed in the first two posts, so... PHEW!
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline mapmikey

• TM Collaborator
I have changed the I-95 file for the Exit 74s...

74 becomes 74A

74B becomes 74C (Broad St which is 74C from both directions on 95)

new 74B for the Bank St ramp on 95 SB

I left everything else discussed in this thread alone...

Offline Markkos1992

• TM Collaborator

new 74B for the Bank St ramp on 95 SB

The exit itself is still signed for Franklin St I believe.  I had not realized until now that if you turned west onto Franklin at the end of the ramp that it became Bank at 14th St.  Personally, I had never taken the exit because I never had reason to.

-Mark