Author Topic: Additional system levels?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:14:53 pm
Additional system levels?
« on: May 29, 2016, 03:50:18 pm »
One of my projects early this summer is to streamline the site update process.  It takes about 45 minutes to run a full site update now from launch to completion, but there's a lot of redundant work done and redundant data stored that was introduced when we added the three levels of highway systems: active, preview, and devel.

Before I get too far into this, I'd like to make sure we're happy with these three levels, and with the way systems in each level are treated.  Is there any further refinement of the levels that would be useful?

As a reminder, here's how the levels work now:

active: completed systems, no datacheck errors, any change that would affect users with entries in their list files will be reported in the updates log, by default these are the only systems shown in maps and stats

preview: completed systems still in final review, should have no datacheck errors before being promoted to this status, changes can be made that would affect users with entries in their list files with no updates log entry, shown in maps and stats only when specifically requested

devel: systems in development, either still incomplete, with datacheck errors, or with questions about whether the system belongs in the project at all, never included in maps and stats (other than the highway browser)

Currently, one chooses whether to include preview systems in maps and stats when viewing pages on the site by specifying a query string parameter to select a database.  My plan is to consolidate back into a single database, so new query string parameters will be used to determine whether preview systems are to be included.  This will require some hopefully straightforward changes to PHP code behind many of the web pages.

Any thoughts, requests, suggestions related to this?

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:36:37 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
Re: Additional system levels?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:17:52 pm »
I thought that preview systems could still have Datacheck errors, since they're still being worked on and that work might add new errors (especially visible distance, for segments whose endpoints are tweaked in the editing process), to be resolved before activation.

usaak, a preview system I'm still working on (next round of updates coming soon), has a lot of Datacheck errors which I was not planning to cross off until just before activation. Some will disappear in the editing process, while others will be replaced with new ones.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:20:52 pm by oscar »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:25:50 pm »
I thought that preview systems could still have Datacheck errors, since they're still being worked on and that work might add new errors (especially visible distance, for segments whose endpoints are tweaked in the editing process), to be resolved before activation.

usaak, a preview system I'm still working on (next round of updates coming soon), has a lot of Datacheck errors which I was not planning to cross off until just before activation. Some will disappear in the editing process, while others will be replaced with new ones.

This is a really good point.  Especially the visible distance errors, which might change as routes get finalized.  I think the "serious" errors like duplicate labels should be addressed before promotion to preview.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:27:19 pm »
Happy with the three levels and the way they are treated. I have no suggestions or requests for further refinement.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:42:14 pm »
Thinking more tonight about how to proceed on this, and wanted to throw some things out there for possible discussion.

For pages that list stats, continue to color code by active and preview entries in tables, but leave out devel entries entirely.  For stats summaries, include numbers for both active only and active+preview (when preview systems exist).

For maps, have a switch (checkbox? QS parameter?) that allows for preview systems to be included or not.  Systems in devel would never be included except in highway browser maps.

In user log files, messages would be like those currently in devlogs, with no messages for matching entries in active or preview systems.  The "inactive" message will be replaced with "in development" or similar.

Offline Ib3kii

• Milwaukeye
  • Last Login:January 12, 2023, 02:02:21 pm
  • I want to be the first one to collect them all!
    • Travel Mapping User Page
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 03:06:42 am »
You should make it so that there is a switch that turns preview systems on/off.

Thanks,
-The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... on the gas.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 02:03:56 pm »
It seems that we already have four system levels: http://tm.teresco.org/forum/index.php?topic=131.msg1569#msg1569

• Active
  • Ready to review
  • Preview
  • In development

I'd like to have a level which is included in the maps but excluded from stats because it helps developers to see a new network on a map. A simple preview before it's ready to review.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 02:58:58 pm »
From the perspective of the data itself and the code that processes and displays it, there are definitely just 3 levels.  The intent with the "preview" status when we added that was that any system in "preview" is ready for review.  If a system is not ready for review (and for users to start experimenting with putting their travels on that system into their lists), it should still be at devel status.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 04:50:48 pm »
Well, you asked whether we are happy with 3 levels. I just stated that there are already 4 levels which makes sense IMHO.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 05:08:58 pm »
Well, you asked whether we are happy with 3 levels. I just stated that there are already 4 levels which makes sense IMHO.

I am still not seeing the difference between a "preview" and a "ready to review".

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:28:40 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 07:57:37 pm »
I am still not seeing the difference between a "preview" and a "ready to review".
Last checks after being able to preview it, and (almost entirely) trying to not swamp the review process.

And yes, at the web end, there's zero difference. It just reminds me what I've decided to be pushing through the process to activation at the moment.