Author Topic: SD: I-190/US 16 complete overhaul  (Read 3630 times)

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 11:38:25 am
  • THE Western SD Highway Nut
SD: I-190/US 16 complete overhaul
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:15:04 pm »
So they're redoing the funky I-190 exit completely: http://www.sdi190interchange.com/

This would entail the removal of AnaSt from both, as well as a rename from SilSt to 1C and a slight shift to the west of the other shared point.

EDIT: Added a "things that can be done now" thread: http://tm.teresco.org/forum/index.php?topic=142.msg690#new
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:18:19 pm by the_spui_ninja »
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 03:08:41 pm
Re: SD: I-190/US 16 complete overhaul
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:32 pm »
Ribbon cutting for the new interchange is Tuesday 8/15 according to the website.

I drove through there last week and while the exit was still closed, the mainline of I-190 had been firmly realigned.

So, methinks we can go ahead and add the recentering/renaming of this point to the active to-do list.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:16:42 pm »
Ribbon cutting for the new interchange is Tuesday 8/15 according to the website.

I drove through there last week and while the exit was still closed, the mainline of I-190 had been firmly realigned.

So, methinks we can go ahead and add the recentering/renaming of this point to the active to-do list.
Same; I have at least close to the correct alignment in OSM as roads under construction so that can be used for the point estimation.

We should wait until we have confirmation that it's still Exit 1C (as I think it is, but better to be sure).
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. - G.K. Chesterton

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:31:22 pm »
UPDATE: the new exit is signed very well as 1C!

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 03:58:44 pm »
While we're here, shouldn't the "I-90" point be changed to 1A? I'm not sure of the convention here; I-229's south end is 1A on the HB and is signed exactly the same.

I think this would also entail a renaming on US 16 of SilSt to I-190(1C) and I-90 to I-190(1A).

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:04:27 am »
Given the short length of the route, I don't know if changing the current style to exit numbers really helps. The I-90 exit is really 1A and 1B, so renaming it to 1A would omit 1B. And it shouldn't be "1" because of the 1C.

GMSV shows that Exit 1C is signed as North Street so I should change that.

It looks like an on-ramp from the former Anamosa Street exit remains so perhaps I should star it, i.e. not mark as closed. But it doesn't have its own exit number, so it would remain with a name instead of a number. That's an argument for keeping the whole set as it is.

IMO, the way to go here is to change SilSt to NorSt and leave everything else as is.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 01:59:18 am »
It looks like an on-ramp from the former Anamosa Street exit remains so perhaps I should star it, i.e. not mark as closed. But it doesn't have its own exit number, so it would remain with a name instead of a number. That's an argument for keeping the whole set as it is.
They did close that onramp and landscaped over last? year or so. It was never an exit of its own, just the 1C NB onramp stuck in a weird position due to land constraints (kinda like Exit 186 in Casper WY; that's stayed numbered).

Additionally, I don't think anyone is using that point, so it could probably just be safely deleted.

The I-90 exit is really 1A and 1B, so renaming it to 1A would omit 1B.
So is the I-229 south end; SD is nothing if not consistent.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:05:14 am by the_spui_ninja »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 03:14:01 pm »
Given the short length of the route, I don't know if changing the current style to exit numbers really helps.

The I-90 exit is really 1A and 1B, so renaming it to 1A would omit 1B. And it shouldn't be "1" because of the 1C.
Both 1A and 1 are acceptable per http://cmap.m-plex.com/tools/manual_wayptlabels.php
WaypointDescription
4 or 4AExits 4A & 4B in one interchange. Usually drop the letter if the lower letter is A. If there is another interchange with the same number and different letters, optionally keep the A.
There's precedent for both usages throughout usai.
1A would keep things consistent with the other 3DI in the state.

GMSV shows that Exit 1C is signed as North Street so I should change that.

Un-star it, I guess you mean?
My first thought was to leave it in, but the_spui_ninja makes a good case for deleting it on 1PPI grounds.
FWIW, The SilSt/NorSt/1C <-> *AnaSt distance falls just short of the .5 mi "double half interchanges" threshold.

IMO, the way to go here is to change SilSt to NorSt and leave everything else as is.
My $0.02:
For such a short route, I might even be inclined to use all named style labels for consistency, if keeping *AnaSt in the mix. (even though the manual may say otherwise...)
If deleting *AnaSt, that tips the scales in favor of using signed exit numbers IMO.
If renaming SilSt, why not go with the signed exit number...
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Highway63

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 16, 2024, 01:40:37 am
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:11:06 pm »
Yes, I meant un-starring the *AnaSt point. I'm in favor of keeping the point because of the issue of the reconstruction of the interstate.

Going with the exit numbers creates an issue with US 16, whose last points are labeled I-190, SilSt, *AnaSt, I-90. I-190 then I-190(1C) would be odd IMO. Unless I renamed I-190->SD44_W.

Offline the_spui_ninja

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:25 pm »
Un-star it, I guess you mean?
My first thought was to leave it in, but the_spui_ninja makes a good case for deleting it on 1PPI grounds.
FWIW, The SilSt/NorSt/1C <-> *AnaSt distance falls just short of the .5 mi "double half interchanges" threshold.

My thinking was since the Anamosa onramp is forever closed now and no one used it as a point anyways, it should go away entirely, but that's just me.

Also, it seems to me it would be better to go with the exit numbers because they are very, very well signed (and it seems such a shame to waste good signage...).

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 01:54:03 am »
Going with the exit numbers creates an issue with US 16, whose last points are labeled I-190, SilSt, *AnaSt, I-90. I-190 then I-190(1C) would be odd IMO. Unless I renamed I-190->SD44_W.
I'd say "SD44_W" is a better option than plain "I-190" here. I-190 just ends, and doesn't go anywhere that is not US16.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca