Author Topic: Oregon Interstates, US Highways and State Routes (Live system)  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:March 26, 2024, 08:55:56 pm
Oregon Interstates, US Highways and State Routes (Live system)
« on: December 20, 2016, 10:38:41 pm »
Being the first state highway system to go live (can't recall if Yukon/NWT were first), it originally went live as the standards were being developed and codified.
As a result, it turns out that their fidelity isn't where it should be and a number of issues need addressing.

Interstates: Originally drafted by Tim to the Terraserver maps, I later adjusted them to Google's using the imprecise method of visually centering a waypoint (or new shape point). With the Waypoint Editor, centering them to OSM's coordinates. All route overlaps have shapepoints standardized as an overlap shapepoint with the overlapped route (eg, +x1(OR99), +x2(OR99)). This should make future editing of overlapping route files simpler to do.

I-5: Points recentered to OSM, overlaps with OR 99, 138, and 99E, and US 30 reflected in respective routes.
New point: I-5 Exit 299B in the Ross Island Maze, for I-405->Marquam Bridge (and vice versa).
I-84: Points along US 30 recentered to OSM. Non-overlap portions to be done.
I-82: To be done.
I-105: To be done, affects OR 126.
I-205: To be done. Will need a point (13A) where OR 224 now crosses the interchange.
I-405: US 26 and US 30 overlaps recentered. Ross Island Maze and Market/Clay-Fremont Bridge portion to be done.

US highways: I don't remember who drafted these, but they were done without their exit numbers. I had added shape points at some point, but quite a few of them, along with actual points, were badly off in central Oregon. There were a number of points out in the middle of nowhere that were outright removed or renamed with impunity. Exit numbers were added, but their original points were preserved.

US 20: Signed exit number (7) at the eastern end of Bus 20 near Toledo -- only known non-access controlled intersection with an exit number I'm aware of. Points renamed, but original names preserved. Route moved from old Eddyville alignment (now Crystal Creek Rd) to the finally completed bypass.
Business US 20 Toledo: Done.
Business US 20 Bend: Route no longer signed. Removing.
US 26: Exit numbers added along the freeway portion of the Sunset Highway. Original points preserved.
US 30: Exit 73 added (original point, TayRd, preserved). This is a signed Super-2 exit between Astoria and Clatskanie. Route moved off of Huntington alignment and onto I-84 per signage changes; created US30BusHun route.
Business US 30 Huntington: Created route from former US 30 alignment.
Business US 30 Ontario: Done.
Bypass US 30 Portland: Done.
Historic US 30 Columbia River Gorge: Route created along the Historic Columbia River Highway between I-84 in Troutdale to exit 35 on I-84.
'Historic US 30 Lower Columbia River Highway': Not started; there is evidence of old routings of US 30 between Astoria and Rainier, and from St Helens to Portland. These are not signed with shields, and inclusion into the project can wait until the state routes have been cleaned up. Low priority.
US 97: To be done.
Business US 97 Klamath Falls: To be done.
Business US 97 Bend: To be done.
Business US 97 Redmond: To be done.
US 101: To be done.
Business US 101: To be done. Of note: Realignment of southern/western end needed.
US 197: To be done.
US 199: To be done.
US 395: Overlaps with US 20, 26 and 30 done. Otherwise, to be done.
US 730: To be done.

Oregon state Routes: Unlike other states, where unsigned highways are omitted, ODOT's intention was to sign all of their internal highways that didn't overlap with the visible routes. Because of this, all routes are included for the project, whether signed or not, until a formal relinquishment to the local government is finalized (OR 420 near Klamath Falls, for example). Other oddities, like OR 10, which remain well signed despite being virtually completely turned back, and OR 8 along Gales Creek Rd, remain in the system.
OR 3-86. 212, 224: Done.
OR 99-569: To be done.
Specific notes:
OR 18: Exit numbers added along OR 22 overlap. Original points preserved.
OR 22: Exit 16 added at OR 233 Dallas/OR 99W interchange. Original point preserved.
OR 34: Research is needed to determine whether OR 34 has been pulled out of downtown Corvallis and onto the bypass. Signage in downtown Corvallis is ambiguous at best, but suggests the US 20/OR 34/OR 99W triplex is still there.
Bypass OR 34 Corvallis: Route may be deleted and mainline OR 34 rerouted onto the bypass.
OR 35: Points to add: Van Horn Dr, Pine Grove. Advance signage for this intersection as far as 1/2 mile beforehand.
OR 140: Needs to be extended west from OR 62 in White City along Agate Rd, Ave G, Kirtland Rd and Blackwell Rd to I-5 and OR 99 at Exit 35.
OR 155: Needs to be added to system.
OR 212: Points added at new OR 224 freeway and at various arteries through Damascus. Done.
OR 213: Point needed at SE 82nd Dr between I-205 and OR 224.
OR 224: Realigned from I-205 and OR 212 onto the Sunrise Freeway. Done.
OR 281: Add point at Summit Dr.
OR 282: Add point at Summit Dr. In both cases, Summit Dr is marked ahead of time and is used for the cutoff between OR 281 and 282. In addition, the OR 281/282 intersection needs to be repositioned. Whether OR 282's approach around the switchback needs to be shaped out or not is up for debate.
OR 372: Needs to be added to system.
OR 420: Needs to be added to system.

Oddities and connectors: This includes the Oregon portion of WA 409 (a ferry route), WA 433 (the Lewis and Clark Bridge between Rainier, OR and Longview, WA), and the Bridge of the Gods and Hood River Bridge.
WA 409: The road from US 30 to the ferry is not part of any system, but the ferry itself is part of the Washington Highway system. Excepting the Mackenzie River Ferries (because of their ice road equivalents), ferries themselves were omitted as a rule, even if signed with a route number (a la Washington). If this is something that looks to change, this ferry should be included, and the connector road should be, as well, to represent a unified route. This is not the case -- the ferry is not part of the WA Highway System. Note about WA 409 can be disregarded.
WA 433: The entirety of the bridge is maintained by WSDOT, and until recently, the Oregon side of the span had the WA 433 shield. The lead up to the bridge on the Oregon side isn't part of WA 433, and ODOT only considers it part of the interchange with US 30. Nonetheless, WA 433 in Oregon should be included.
Bridge of the Gods (Cascade Locks-Stevenson) and Hood River Bridge (Hood River-White Salmon): Both are private entity, tolled bridges, crossing the Columbia River in the Gorge. They still are important enough parts of the overall regional highway system to include.

Oregon state Highways: These are the internal highways underneath the external routes, and always follow a number-name combo. Where they differ from their signed routes (Highway 26 Mt Hood Highway follows US 26 and OR 35) could be the basis of another, secondary system. It can act as a placeholder for the unsigned Oregon Routes (104S, 451, etc). Low priority.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
Re: Oregon Interstates, US Highways and State Routes (Live system)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:16:11 pm »
Some of the changes you're making are starting to appear in my log file, and so I have a few questions.
OR39BusKla: evidently the waypoint US97Bus/39 was changed to US97/39Bus. First, why? According to OSM & GMSV it looks like the route intersects US 97 Bus and OR 39 there, not US 97 and OR 39 Bus. Second, is there a particular reason that US97Bus/39 couldn't be retained as an alt label?
OR86: it looks like the direction of the route was changed, since ID/OR becameOR/ID. Again, an alt label would have been helpful.
US30:BrgGods was changed to BriGods. Any particular reason? And could BrgGods be added back as an alt label?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:51:13 am by mapcat »
Clinched:

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 09:24:33 am
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:34:56 pm »
To add to Mapcat's comments:

OR 86: Second his suggestion to add back ID/OR as an alt label for OR/ID. Also, if I-84(302) isn't an alt label for I-84. it should be.

OR 38: My list file has labels BAve and I-5. My log file indicates one or both of them were not preserved as alt labels. Also, I-5/OR99 => I-5/99, or maybe even just I-5.

OR 212: I-205(12) => I-205, since there are no other intersections with I-205 -- but please keep I-205(12) as an alt label, since it's a point in use (including, now, by me).

OR 224:  My list file has labels OakGroFrkRd I-205(13). My log file indicates one or both of them were not preserved as alt labels. Also, the discussion above indicates that part of OR 224 was rerouted, but that discussion is unclear about how I need to adjust my list file (my guess is to change I-205(13) to OR212_W). Hopefully the forthcoming entry in the Updates table will provide that clarity.

US 20: As I've noted elsewhere, CreCreLp_E => CryCreLp_E, to match the corresponding point at the other end of the Crystal Creek loop. If the forthcoming Updates table item (for the US 20 reroute in Eddyville) refers to CreCreLp_E, that should be adjusted too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:57:28 pm by oscar »

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 01:43:41 am »
WA 433: The entirety of the bridge is maintained by WSDOT, and until recently, the Oregon side of the span had the WA 433 shield. The lead up to the bridge on the Oregon side isn't part of WA 433, and ODOT only considers it part of the interchange with US 30. Nonetheless, WA 433 in Oregon should be included.
If the approach is not considered part of WA433 by WSDOT, and not signed as such, then we shouldn't consider it part of WA433 either.

Bridge of the Gods (Cascade Locks-Stevenson) and Hood River Bridge (Hood River-White Salmon): Both are private entity, tolled bridges, crossing the Columbia River in the Gorge. They still are important enough parts of the overall regional highway system to include.
Taking a look at these in gmaps, they don't make the cut for usasf. Not freeway facilities. :(
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 03:23:18 am »
Some of the changes you're making are starting to appear in my log file, and so I have a few questions.
OR39BusKla: evidently the waypoint US97Bus/39 was changed to US97/39Bus. First, why? According to OSM & GMSV it looks like the route intersects US 97 Bus and OR 39 there, not US 97 and OR 39 Bus. Second, is there a particular reason that US97Bus/39 couldn't be retained as an alt label?
This is an error, probably from copy/pasting coordinates from OR 39. Current alt label is +OR39_W, which shall remain. US97/39Bus -> US97Bus/39.
OR86: it looks like the direction of the route was changed, since ID/OR becameOR/ID. Again, an alt label would have been helpful.
Routing correction I failed to note as I was putting everything together after the fact (whoops): OR 86 rerouted from the Snake River Crossing with ID 71 south of Copperfield, Oregon, to the Snake River crossing just north of Copperfield, per signage noted in GSMV. No route directional change; state crossing label now reflects the correct orientation rather than sharing the terminal point with ID 71. However, alt label is being added.
US30:BrgGods was changed to BriGods. Any particular reason? And could BrgGods be added back as an alt label?
[/size]
This isn't a change I recall making, but the change does reflect Tim's preferences in label abbreviations. Adding in the alt label.

Quote from: oscar
OR 86: Second his suggestion to add back ID/OR as an alt label for OR/ID. Also, if I-84(302) isn't an alt label for I-84. it should be.
+I-84(302) was indeed made an alt label. No action needed.

OR 38: My list file has labels BAve and I-5. My log file indicates one or both of them were not preserved as alt labels. Also, I-5/OR99 => I-5/99, or maybe even just I-5.
BAve was preserved when I switched it to BAve_E; looks like it was I-5 that broke the list. I-5/OR99 -> I-5/99 +I-5

OR 212: I-205(12) => I-205, since there are no other intersections with I-205 -- but please keep I-205(12) as an alt label, since it's a point in use (including, now, by me).
Done.

OR 224:  My list file has labels OakGroFrkRd I-205(13). My log file indicates one or both of them were not preserved as alt labels. Also, the discussion above indicates that part of OR 224 was rerouted, but that discussion is unclear about how I need to adjust my list file (my guess is to change I-205(13) to OR212_W). Hopefully the forthcoming entry in the Updates table will provide that clarity.
+I-205(13) added. Reroute of OR 224 is between I-205[13] and OR212_W.

US 20: As I've noted elsewhere, CreCreLp_E => CryCreLp_E, to match the corresponding point at the other end of the Crystal Creek loop. If the forthcoming Updates table item (for the US 20 reroute in Eddyville) refers to CreCreLp_E, that should be adjusted too.
Spelling error corrected. CreCreLp_E -> CryCreLp_E

Quote from: Yakra
Quote from: Bickendan
If the approach is not considered part of WA433 by WSDOT, and not signed as such, then we shouldn't consider it part of WA433 either.
Letter vs spirit of law grumble grumble. WA433 +ToWA433 -> ToWA433 +WA433
The Oregon side of WA 433 should be in the system, however, and it isn't.

Taking a look at these in gmaps, they don't make the cut for usasf. Not freeway facilities. :(
I'm painfully aware of the can of worms this would open, but I would strongly argue for their (and the Oregon WA 433 approach) inclusion. :sigh:

Offline bhemphill

• Last Login:February 09, 2022, 04:21:48 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:31:35 am »
I noticed there is quite a bit of non concurrency in the map between I-84 and US30.  It looks like maybe one file was updated with new points, while the other was not.  I know it is a cleanup, so it is probably just in the middle of it but just wanted to make sure it is known.  I only noticed since I was needing to make an update.

Offline mapcat

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:09:32 am
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 11:57:06 am »
Since the errors you mention are all recorded on the Datacheck page, he's probably aware that there are currently dozens of these in Oregon.
Clinched:

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 07:13:30 am »
The US 30 concurrency errors have all been ironed out.
Currently:
Routes 1-94 are done, save for 58 (slipped through the cracks).
Next for point recentering and cleanup:
Adding US 30H Rowena Crest (Mosier-The Dalles)
OR 58
US 95
US 97
US 97B Redmond
US 97B Bend
US 97B Klamath Falls
OR 99, including restoring Yoncalla-Drain routing (non-OR 38 portion is county maintained)
OR 99W
OR 99E
OR 99EB Salem
US 99H Myrtle Creek
US 101
US 101B Astoria, routing correction needed near Warrenton
OR 103
OR 104
OR 104S -- not signed in the field. Will remain in system until ORH system is ready (ORH 104Y).
OR 120 -- not signed in the field. Will remain in system until ORH system is ready (ORH 120).
OR 126, routing correction needed in Redmond
OR 130
OR 131
OR 131T Tillamook
OR 138, including investigating a possible 138S in Sutherlin
OR 140, western extension needed from OR 62 to I-5/OR 99
US 395, concurrency check and corrections; rest of route will be done in a later update
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:40:33 pm by Bickendan »

Offline rickmastfan67

• TM Collaborator (A)
  • Last Login:Today at 06:11:34 am
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:22:52 am »
US 395: Overlaps with US 20, 26 and 30 done. Otherwise, to be done.

Just a heads up, but the one with I-84 & US-30 is broken.  Both I-84 & US-30 are synced together, but US-395 isn't with either.

Code: [Select]
or.i084 I-84/US30/US395@+x1(US30/US395) HIDDEN_JUNCTION 4 or.i084;I-84/US30/US395@+x1(US30/US395);;;HIDDEN_JUNCTION;4
or.i084 I-84/US30/US395@+x3(US30/US395) HIDDEN_JUNCTION 3 or.i084;I-84/US30/US395@+x3(US30/US395);;;HIDDEN_JUNCTION;3

This would be between I-84 exits 188 & 202 (+x2(I-84/US30)) that it's broken.  +x3(I-84/US30) to exit 209 is fine and synced.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:27:49 am by rickmastfan67 »

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:39:04 pm »
I'm not surprised. Going in pure numerical order, 395's way down the list. I'll bump up the concurrency for the next batch, though.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 06:05:20 am »
US 95: Google and OSM report the NV/OR border in different locations. I'm going to maintain the original point location for now.
Removing point 10 Mile Rd -- gated dirt road according to OSM.
Shifting JacCreRd north to OreCanRd (Oregon Canyon Rd provides access to Jackson Creek Rd), renaming.
Removing CroCreRd_A (dirt road) and replacing with a shape point.
Removing CroCreRd_B (dirt road).
Removing TudRd (not a named road in OSM).
Adding OldIONHwy_S, though a dirt road, it is the original alignment.
Removing CroCreRd_C, replacing with a shape point just southwest. Unnamed access road in OSM, nothing at all in Google.
OldIONHwy -> OldIONHwy_N
Removing DanRd_S (dirt road), replacing with nearby shape point.
DanRd_N -> DanLoopRd (northern end of OldIONHwy)
OldOR95 -> OldUS95_S
OldHwy -> OldUS95_N
ID US95 change: OR/ID http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.250720&lon=-117.026689

None of these changes affect any .lists.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 07:03:28 am »
US 395 resynced to I-84 and US 30. No other changes.

OR 99E Bus resynced to OR 22.
Quadrant suffixes removed (those in use preserved as alt tags).
MrktStNE -> MarSt
GrvStNE -> PineSt and moved north from Grove St to Pine St
OR219 -> RivRd
BrdwyStNE -> BroSt
ChryAveNE -> CheAve
Shape point added between I-5 exits 260A and B to break a false concurrency.
-I-5:
--260A
--260B
-OR 99E Bus:
--I-5(260A)
--+x6
--CheRd +ChemRdNE (same point as 260B)

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 06:59:43 am »
US 97

MilIslRd -> ORH420 +MilIslRd
·ORH 420 is not signed and as far as I know, it's a candidate for decomissioning. Until that happens, ORH 420 will go in the Oregon Highways set (it's not currently in the live Oregon Routes set).
Added point at CR 803
OR140 -> 277 +OR140
MemDr -> 276
US97BusKla_S -> 275
OreAve -> 273
US97Bus/39 +US97BusKla/39 -> 272 +US97Bus/39 +US97BusKla/39 (both tags are currently in use)
CR671_S -> AlgRd_S
CR671_N -> AlgRd_N
OldOR427 -> CR1334
Added point at OR 62. No idea how that one was missed...
OR422_S -> OR422
OR422_N -> 247 +OR422_N
NF43 removed
SilLakeRd -> CR676
LenzRanRd removed
SunMouRd removed
OR58 -> 195 +OR58
CreCutRd -> CR61 +CreCutRd
ChaRd removed
CR22 -> NF22
StRecRd -> StaParkRd
CR40 -> 153
CotRd -> 151
CraRd -> NF9702
BakRd -> 143 +BakRd
Added point 142
Added point 141A
US97BusBen_S -> 141 +US97BusBen_S
ReeMarRd -> 139
AriAve -> 138
Added OreAve
RevAve -> 137 +RevAve
ButMarRd -> 136
EmpAve -> 135B
Added RobLn
DesMarRd -> TumPl
GiftRd -> 61stSt
YewAve -> 124 +YewAve
SisAve -> VetWay
US97BusRed_S -> US97Bus/OR126
Added LarAve
US97BusRed_N -> 119
CoraDr -> ClaDr
Removed NorHerRd
QuaRd -> OldUS97_S
Added OldUS97_N
Removed WilRd
DobPtRd -> 2ndSt
Removed ErsRd
Moro -> 4thSt +Moro
Removed DeMossLn
ClaRd -> OldUS97Was_S
OldUS97 -> OldUS97Was_N
Removed MudHolRd
BigRufHwy -> ORH301Y +BigRufHwy
·Non-signed highway
OR/WA -> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.671749&lon=-120.834611

OR 126:
Moved route from the US 97 Bus alignment onto the US 97 alignment in Redmond.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 07:02:35 pm »
OR 99
Recentered many points along the I-5 overlaps. Will do another pass on I-5's file after this pull goes live.
Added FruDr
OR260 -> E/FSt
ToI-5(135) -> NorRd +ToI-5(135)
Restored route onto the Yoncalla-Drain routing per (minimal) signage.
I-5(186) -> DilAccRd +I-5(186)
Added RivDr

OR 99W
Added AlpRd
Added WalBlvd
Added LewAve
Added HofRd
Added ClowCorRd
OR223Ric -> RicRd +OR223Ric
OR153_S -> ORH153_E
OR153_N -> ORH153_W
·OR153 still not signed. Will move OR 153 from the Routes to the Highways set later.
OR18 -> OR18_W +OR18
·Change in preparation for OR 18's extension onto the Newburg-Dundee Bypass
3rdSt -> 2ndSt
Added 15thSt
27thSt -> GraSt
Added 9thSt
Added CR74/119
OR219_W -> OR219_N
Added RivSt
OR219_E -> OR219_S
·OR 219 has a wrong-way overlap with OR 99W, so the _S _N suffixes will be reversed on OR219.
Added TuaSheRd
Added BeefBendRd
Added McDonSt
Added WalSt
Added GreRd
·Turn point for TriMet bus lines off of OR99W
OR141 -> ORH141 +OR141
Added 72ndAve
Truncating OR 99W back from I-5(306) to I-5(294) because of lack of signage and maintenance switching from ODOT to PBOT. However, there are still segments of Barbur/Interstate under ODOT control. Former OR 99W points shifting to ORH 1W. ORH 1W is OR 99 from I-5(192) to Junction City, OR 99W from Junction City to I-5(294), Barbur Blvd, Naito Parkway to Steel Bridge, Steel Bridge, Interstate Ave, and Denver Ave to I-5(306).

ORH 1W Pacific Highway West (Herbert Hoover Hwy, Barbur Blvd, Naito Pkwy, Interstate Ave)
Added 26thAve
RossIslBri +ToUS26 +ToUS26/OR43 -> ORH26 +RossIslBri +ToUS26 +ToUS26/OR43
·This is a mess of artifact tags, not going to fix the OR 10 file. We route US 26 along Kelley Ave, leaving the eastbound ramps from Naito not in the system. That will be ORH 26, which runs along US 26 and OR 35.
HarDr -> ORH47 +HarDr
·The Market/Clay couplet is ORH 47, and formerly US 26 when it was routed through downtown Portland instead of the entirety of the Ross Island Maze.
Added LloBlvd
Added KilSt
X74999 -> VicBlvd
·I'm guessing this was a botched shape point, but it's a legitimate full point location.

OR 99E
PraRd -> PeoRd
CroDr -> OSt
TanDr_S -> TanDr
TanDr_N -> NorLakeCrkDr
Removing KnoButRd
·Part of the I-5(234) interchange.
Added CR726
Added CR617
Added CR626
Added CR615
Added CR613
Added CR628
BarMonRd -> CR37/609
Added CR608
WacRd -> CR6/602
Added CR622
Added CR526
Added CR524/623
DogAve -> CR5/51
EhlRd -> CR96
Added MilAve
Bro +Brdwy -> Bro/WeiSt +Bro +Brdwy
Added RusSt
Added VanAve
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:40:29 pm by Bickendan »

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »
Business US 97
Klamath Falls
Save for a shapepoint, no changes due to near pure overlap with OR39/39Bus

Bend
Added MurRd
Added PowRd
Moved route off northern portion of 3rd St onto Empire Ave, moving US97_N from 135A to 135B due to the strange interchange with US 20 (no northbound Bus 97 connection to US 97).

Redmond
Added OR126
Added BlaButBlvd
Added AntAve
Added LarAve
Added MapAve