Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Note on possibly unsigned/non-routes, for later followup:

SK 204 -- apparently in shapefiles, can't find

SK 383-- apparently in shapefiles, can't find

SK 375, 394, 396 -- apparently not in shapefiles, but shown in OSM/Mapnik, and to some extent in other online maps. All are fairly short routes, so they wouldn't necessarily show in the official road map or the online Highway Hotline.

375 is connector to Hepburn from SK 12. Fairly recent GMSV imagery indicate route is unsigned if it exists.

396 is connector from Guernsey and a potash plant south of town. Dated GMSV imagery suggests it is unsigned if it exists, or may be signed only as part of SK 668.

394 is on east side of Saskatoon, between SK 16 and SK 316. Unlike other two routes, it is not shown in 2008 MapArt road atlas, which means it may be a fairly new route. Like 396, it may be in the system mainly to serve a potash plant. Some GMSV imagery is too dated to be helpful, but apparently unsigned at junctions with SK 16 and SK 316 based on 2013-14 imagery.

394 is in the HB, and I'll add 396 in the next pull request, subject to later removal. I'm more convinced that 375 should be left out of the HB, so it stays out for now.

In-progress Highway Systems & Work / Re: zafn: South Africa National Highways
« Last post by Duke87 on Yesterday at 08:31:07 pm »
N2:
- The westernmost segment between M62 and the N1/N2 junction appears to be signed as both N1 and N2. Suggest making this a concurrency between the two.
- "1(W)" → "N1" (there is no exit number, "N1" is on the gore sign where the number otherwise would be)
- "1A(W)" → "1B(W)" and vice versa.
- remove "6A(W)". This is not signed as a separate exit, and one point per interchange
- add point "M161" at Broadlands Road in Lwandle
- "DuKaaWeg" → "OuKaaWeg"
- add point "R321" at intersection with Oudeburg Rd. Change existing point "R321" to "ToR321"
- add point at Myddleton interchange (does not appear to have a number)
- "P1532" → "Bog" (these designations beginning with P are not signed)
- "R102_E" → R102_ some three letter combo like the other R102 intersections?
- add a couple more points in King William's town where route makes turns
- Recenter point "R349"
- "R63" exists as well as "R63_W" and "R63_E". Should these be R63_C, A, and B (respectively)?
- "X553498" → "R408"
- Recenter point "R411"
- "FurNdaAve" → "TutNdaAve"
- "P750" → "Sin" (again, designations beginning with P not signed)
- "P61" → "Weza"
- "P56" → "ElimMis"
- "P55" → "Pad"
- "P345" → "OriGorRd"
- "P262" → "Mur"
(side note: D201 actually IS signed as such... how about that https://www.google.com/maps/@-30.7264133,30.390732,3a,44.3y,209.29h,82.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scpQGFkunyr9I_1MZo9IraQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656)
- "R102" →"R102_Emp"
- "D1913_S" → "Duk" (this D road is not signed)
- "D1913_N" → "Shi"
Welcome & Notices / Site downtime afternoon of 2/22
« Last post by Jim on Yesterday at 02:01:17 pm »
The building where TM's server is housed will be without power from 5-6 PM EST this afternoon.  I'm out of town and hoping it will come back up without incident.
Thank you.   :)
Updates to Highway Data / Re: TX: TX136 Add Waypoint for Alibates Flint Quarries NM
« Last post by yakra on February 21, 2018, 10:27:27 am »
I bet the only reason I left this off in the first place was that without AliRan, it would have been more than 10 miles from FM1342, resulting in a visible_distance error. AliRan avoided this, and still kept the shape of the route within tolerance, so in it went. I agree that as a road to a National Monument / National Rec Area, it's a worthwhile point to have. Added.
Welcome & Notices / Re: Less frequent site updates for the next week
« Last post by Jim on February 20, 2018, 11:10:04 pm »
I'll be at traveling to and from and will attending a conference the rest of this week, so I am unsure how consistently I'll be able to run site updates through Saturday.

For those interested in the educational aspect of TM, my talk "Map-based Algorithm Visualization with METAL Highway Data" will be Friday afternoon.  https://sigcse2018.sigcse.org/agenda.html has the full schedule.  My talk slides are at http://courses.teresco.org/metal/sigcse2018/talk.pdf

Welcome & Notices / Re: Temporary Suspension of Graph Generation
« Last post by Jim on February 20, 2018, 11:03:45 pm »
First new graphs in about a week will be generated with tonight's update.
Updates to Highway Data / TX: TX136 Add Waypoint for Alibates Flint Quarries NM
« Last post by mikeandkristie on February 20, 2018, 02:44:05 pm »
On TX TX136, can you add a waypoint for Cas Johnson Road?  It is located between the current AliRan and PolRanRd waypoints, south of Fritch.  This is the turn to go to Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument and parts of the Lake Meredith National Recreation Area.  There are directional signs along the road visible on GSV to confirm the turn.

Mike
Other Discussion / Re: Hello + Getting Travel Mapping into Highway☆ app
« Last post by catsynth on February 20, 2018, 01:10:48 pm »
Thanks for checking out the app!  And congrats on making it onto the leaderboard in one day :D

The scoring system is 10 points for a discovery, which means driving on or intersecting with a highway.  There is 1 additional point for encountering a previously seen highway in a different "secondary administrative unit" (e.g., in the U.S. a county or parish).

I still see some potential intersection between TM and Highway☆ for two features I want to add.
  • Clinching.  As pointed out, there is currently no detection or scoring of clinched routes.  I would like to add clinching, with a score that scales with the length of the route (e.g., clinching I-5 in California should be worth more the I-980)
  • Recording trips.  I was envisioning being able to share recorded trips to TM as a contribution to the community, and as a feature that Highway☆ users have requested
Updates to Highway Data / WI: US12/US18/WI73 Interchange
« Last post by Quidditch33 on February 19, 2018, 04:07:18 pm »
In 2015, this interchange was reconstructed so that WI73 no longer joins US12/18 for a short bit, and now travelers must use access ramps to get to the other route(s). On the site, routes US12, US18, and WI73 should be edited to no longer have a concurrency, but rather an intersection at the new interchange.

Note: This reconstruction has only caused WI73 to lose its concurrency with US12/18, meanwhile US12/18 remain concurrent through the new interchange.

Source:
https://projects.511wi.gov/wis73/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10