Author Topic: Please try out new HDX  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 10:27:44 am
Please try out new HDX
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:26:57 am »
If you use HDX as part of your highway data management, which I believe many of you do, please have a look at an updated version:

http://courses.teresco.org/metal/hdxtest/

At this point, I'm not looking for too much user interface feedback since I know much of that needs fixing anyway.  I just want to know if this version can do what you need it to do for your purposes.  I assume that's usually loading up .tmg files to look for concurrencies using the color-coded edges, and loading up tm-master.nmp.

When loaded, this version begins in an "algorithm visualization" mode, as that is the expected most common usage.  To load files for viewing only, you can choose "Show Map/Load Options" from the dropdown on the upper right.  That brings up the (now movable and somewhat resizable) "Load/Map Options" box, where you can load files from your own computer as we did before, or choose graphs from the last version generated during a TM site update (so no more downloading and re-uploading graphs).  I didn't include an option to load tm-master.nmp directly, but that's doable in the future now that we've nailed down the needed mechanism.

I'd like to make a subsequent version of this design the default HDX before the end of summer, but I also want to make sure that as I add a lot of functionality for the academic project side, I don't take away any functionality needed for TM highway data managers.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 04:04:16 pm
Re: Please try out new HDX
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:01 am »
Looks fine.

http://tm.teresco.org/devel/tools.php

Travel Mapping Graph Data
Graphs can be loaded into HDX to verify unexpected or broken concurrencies.

Is this still possible or maybe not necessary anymore?

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:February 13, 2024, 07:19:36 pm
  • I like C++
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 01:30:16 pm »
I'm not looking for too much user interface feedback since I know much of that needs fixing anyway.
My only comments were about the UI. I can save that for after you notify us of any changes or improvements here.
I did notice however than in the production HDX, the old graphic used for waypoint markers no longer displays. Did you move, rename, or delete it on-site when replacing it with the new "MUTCD crossroads" graphic in HDXtest?

I just want to know if this version can do what you need it to do for your purposes.  I assume that's usually loading up .tmg files to look for concurrencies using the color-coded edges, and loading up tm-master.nmp.
I tried out a few TMG and NMP files. Everything seems to work as it did before, and looks fine.

However: https://github.com/TravelMapping/EduTools/issues/107
I would find this VERY useful in streamlining fixing NMPs.

If you mean uploading files from disk, I say definitely keep this functionality.
Uploading my own .NMP files, filtered by region, is especially useful.
There's also the ability to load in homebrew .TMGs, if anyone would want to do that. I've thought about hacking some together in a text editor, but haven't actually done so.
Sometimes I'll load older, outdated .TMGs into the HDX for reference, and have a look around.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »
I did notice however than in the production HDX, the old graphic used for waypoint markers no longer displays. Did you move, rename, or delete it on-site when replacing it with the new "MUTCD crossroads" graphic in HDXtest?

Not on purpose.  Turns out that HDX was pulling from tmtest's JS library functions, which I replaced today.  Pointed them at the production TM site and all seems well.

If you mean uploading files from disk, I say definitely keep this functionality.

Uploading files manually is definitely not going anywhere.  There are 5 or 6 file types it can handle, some of which are things generated bu other programs that can be visualized with HDX.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »
Uploading my own .NMP files, filtered by region, is especially useful.

It's not about the HDX but about the developer link page:
- Is it still necessary to have a link to the graph download page?
- Is it still possible to load manually downloaded graph files to HDX?

If I got both of you right, the answers are yes and everything's fine :)

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:56:03 pm »
Yes and yes.  The majority of the time, you won't need to download the graphs and upload to HDX, but you could if you wanted to.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 06:42:18 pm »
There are 5 or 6 file types it can handle, some of which are things generated bu other programs that can be visualized with HDX.
There's collapsed TMG, simple TMG, and NMP. What are the others? Just stuff that's used in the METAL course, I presume, though I didn't see anything about other formats on the METAL website.
Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:04 am »
There are 5 or 6 file types it can handle, some of which are things generated bu other programs that can be visualized with HDX.
There's collapsed TMG, simple TMG, and NMP. What are the others? Just stuff that's used in the METAL course, I presume, though I didn't see anything about other formats on the METAL website.

There's wpt, pth (path files, where it's just a list of points and it draws edges from one to the next), nmp, tmg collapsed, tmg simple, gra (an earlier graph format), and wpl (a "waypoint list") for which only the points are displayed, no connections between them).  Each (except the old gra) are used for some purpose for academic assignments and/or examples.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 02:11:14 am »
I tried out a few WPTs in the HDX just for giggles:
Points with AltLabels have their coords at 0,0.
In HDXtest, if I load one WPT and then another, the overlays for only the second file are shown (as it should be). However, I see Raw file contents for the first and second files respectively. This does not happen in the production HDX.

Not on purpose.  Turns out that HDX was pulling from tmtest's JS library functions, which I replaced today.  Pointed them at the production TM site and all seems well.
I forget if I observed this fixed for a short time, but again there are no waypoint markers in the production HDX. Is the code trying to reference the old graphic now, and coming up blank?

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 07:01:32 am »
Looks like my most recent changes are breaking things, since a few of those are things I'd fixed earlier.  I'll check it out when I get into the office today.  Thanks.

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:31:39 am »
The production HDX has had the WPT AltLabel bug for a while, apparently.  I'm not going to bother fixing it since I hope to put the new one into production soon.  I did fix the missing waypoint icon problem.

For the loading second wpt file problem: https://github.com/TravelMapping/EduTools/issues/117

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • I like C++
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 01:00:55 am »
To clarify, hdxtest has the AltLabel bug too.
Thanks for the fixes on the other items, and for adding in the feature request.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 01:54:40 pm »
I'm not able to work with hdxtest because of the scroll bar issue... Cannot navigate because I only move the scroll bars instead of moving the map.

In addition, I think the graph list is incomplete. For instance, Sweden is missing. The graph is available on http://tm.teresco.org/graphs/ though. Got it, maximum number of vertices must be changed. Is it possible to set the default value to a maximum value so that all graphs can be selected by default?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:04:56 pm by michih »

Offline Jim

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 03:36:41 pm »
I'm not able to work with hdxtest because of the scroll bar issue... Cannot navigate because I only move the scroll bars instead of moving the map.

Is this new?

Got it, maximum number of vertices must be changed. Is it possible to set the default value to a maximum value so that all graphs can be selected by default?

If anything, I'll probably make the defaults smaller, since the intended end user is someone looking to visualize an algorithm, and you generally don't want to go above a couple thousand vertices for those.

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 03:49:42 pm »

Is this new?

Yes, it's caused by the "now movable and somewhat resizable "Load/Map Options" box". The box is always visible even when you select "Map only" and if you click in the ("hidden" but large) box field, you just move the (hidden) box.