Author Topic: New Travels and Stats Discussion  (Read 1415 times)

Offline bejacob

• Last Login:Today at 07:13:21 am
Re: New Travels and Stats Discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »
Also, any photos of the "unwelcome" sign exiting the airport, warning it is against the law to visit Kalaupapa without a state permit? My webpage on Kalawao County has a quarter-century-old photo of the airport exit sign.

Turns out I did photograph the sign, though only in the context of a larger view of the area. It's probably too small to read, but the white sign on the right side of the road says

NO ENTRY BEYOND
THIS POINT WITHOUT
A VISITOR PERMIT
VIOLATORS ARE
SUBJECT TO ARREST
HRS 326-39

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:14:39 am
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21:22 pm »
Also, any photos of the "unwelcome" sign exiting the airport, warning it is against the law to visit Kalaupapa without a state permit? My webpage on Kalawao County has a quarter-century-old photo of the airport exit sign.

Turns out I did photograph the sign, though only in the context of a larger view of the area. It's probably too small to read, but the white sign on the right side of the road says

NO ENTRY BEYOND
THIS POINT WITHOUT
A VISITOR PERMIT
VIOLATORS ARE
SUBJECT TO ARREST
HRS 326-39

That text is exactly as it was a quarter-century ago. I'll have to note that on my Kalawao County page.

BTW, I took the mule ride. While I didn't have to dodge all the "mule apples" on the trail, mt jeans were so smelly afterwards that I just left them behind on Molokai before flying off to the next island.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:27:11 pm by oscar »

Offline compdude787

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:37:33 am
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »
So, I took my first trip to Hawaii this past week, traveling on the roads of Maui. That's what made me most excited to go there, lol. ;D Anyway, we made a complete loop around the west part of the island, including on Hwy 340, which is much sharper and narrower than the famous road to Hana. We did that as a spur of the moment type of thing, after having tried to go see the Iao Needle, only to discover that the road to it was closed from flooding. So we decided to head back to our condo near Napili via Hwy 340 around the northern part of the island, on a route that is far more curvy, far narrower (it was the width of a driveway at one point), but far more scenic than the road to Hana since it hugged the coastline more. (of course, that freaked my mom out more being on the edge of the cliff) Unfortunately, since most of that highway is just a county road and not a state highway (makes sense, right?), it's not going to show up as a complete loop on the map here.

We also went up Haleakala, and did many of the other touristy things, including the road to Hana, as well as snorkeling and going on a zipline (fun!).

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:14:39 am
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 02:51:38 pm »
So we decided to head back to our condo near Napili via Hwy 340 around the northern part of the island, on a route that is far more curvy, far narrower (it was the width of a driveway at one point), but far more scenic than the road to Hana since it hugged the coastline more. (of course, that freaked my mom out more being on the edge of the cliff) Unfortunately, since most of that highway is just a county road and not a state highway (makes sense, right?), it's not going to show up as a complete loop on the map here.

I drove 340 in January, as well as on earlier trips to Maui. Believe it or not, it used to be worse. At least most of it now has edge stripes. A few short stretches are wide enough to get a center stripe. There is a reason why, when in the late 1960s the state split up the combined state/county highway network into separate state and county networks, the state fobbed off that short piece of the northwest Maui loop on Maui County. But the state did keep part of the loop in HI 30, and also in HI 340 on the other side.

I liked how, on a busy Saturday morning, a teenage girl was directing traffic at a sharp one-lane turn (with no pavement striping at all) into Kahakuloa village, to get one direction of traffic over as far to the right edge of pavement as possible, so a line of traffic going the other way could squeeze by.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:54:42 pm by oscar »