Author Topic: usaak (Alaska State Highways)  (Read 581 times)

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:30:39 pm
Re: usaak (Alaska State Highways)
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 09:15:33 pm »

I'm not sure there are any unsigned mainline U.S. routes, but certainly there have been unsigned U.S. and Interstate business routes, which we normally remove even if they're still technically on AASHTO's books.

I assume you mean US routes non-concurrent with interstates in places that don't post concurrencies well or at all....

I was talking about US routes that aren't signed at all, anywhere. For example, on one of the isolated non-US route segments in usaak, where every route marker "disappeared" as soon as it was posted, until the state DOT gave up (even the former US 666 never got to that point). If it's signage that's lousy by lower-48 standards but typical in the Arctic (like gaps of over 100 miles between reassurance markers, or no route signage on concurrencies except at each end), I'm still counting it as "signed".
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:20:52 pm by oscar »

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:January 11, 2018, 08:19:21 pm
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 10:19:07 pm »
According to this map from the state DOT, AK 5 goes up to Eagle rather than to the YT border at Little Gold.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:30:39 pm
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »
According to this map from the state DOT, AK 5 goes up to Eagle rather than to the YT border at Little Gold.

That looks like an old map.

Part 2 of the current Alaska Traffic Manual (2016 edition), at pages 55-56, has a map showing AK 5 turning east to the Canadian border rather than continuing north to Eagle. It also has a route definition table confirming that AK 5 includes the Top of the World Highway to the border, and part of the Taylor Highway but only between Top of the World and the Alaska Highway.

I had an e-mail exchange with someone at Alaska DOT&PF on the previously confusing definition of AK 5, which might've led to the clearer definition in the current manual.

OTOH, I'll have to follow up on an ambiguity in the current ATM on the definition of AK 10's northern segment, about whether it includes the McCarthy Road between Chitina and McCarthy as is now in the HB, or rather ends in Chitina. The 2012-2015 ATM supplements specified that AK 10 ended in McCarthy, much to my surprise (no AK 10 signage east of Chitina when I was last there in 2012, and the mileposts reset to zero in Chitina and change to a distinctive Chitina-McCarthy Road milepost style). The current ATM removes the specific reference to McCarthy, and suggests that AK 10 ends where the McCarthy Road begins in Chitina. I'm leaning to truncating the route to end in Chitina, but plan to re-contact Alaska DOT&PF to confirm that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:41:04 am by oscar »