Author Topic: cannsf: blue, or teal?  (Read 166 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:35:39 am
cannsf: blue, or teal?
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:24:58 am »
This sort of ties into my proposal to split cannb into 3 smaller systems.

cannsf was one of CHM's first 'freeway" systems outside of the US. If I remember my history correctly, it went live way back when the United States Numbered Highways were still in development, and predates the other "expressway" level systems, such as usasf, usansf and cannf, that now use the teal color. Thus, teal wasn't around at the time, and cannsf used the blue color established for other freeway systems such as the US Interstates, Quebec Autoroutes, Ontario 400-series freeways, etc.

But is cannsf really a freeway system? Not really...
Of 13 routes:
4 are all freeway: 102, 104Por, 111, 125.
5 are mostly freeway: 101, 104, 106, 107, 118. 101 has a substantial surface road segment; upgrades or new alignment may in the longer-term plans. 104 is more expressway grade east of New Glasgow and especially Antigonish, with a short regular surface segment just before its east end. 106 is almost all freeway (if you count the Pictou rotary), with just a couple at-grades at its north end that probably aren't going anywhere. 107 has a concurrency along NS7; I don't know if there have been any serious bypass proposals by anyone other than roadgeeks. 118 has a surface road segment inside the 111 beltway; looks residential in satellite view; more lackadaisically signed IIRC.
1 route, 103, is a flat-out mixed bag. Full freeway closer to Halifax, expressway grade in more rural areas, plain old surface road in places along the old NS3 corridor, slowly getting bypassed & upgraded.
1 route, TCH 105, is mostly surface. Super-2 bypass of NS205, with at-grades at each end and one diamond interchange in the middle.
2 get categorized as all surface: 142, 162.

cannsf is the main arterial system of the province, but not really meant to be freeway. Upgrades are being made, as traffic levels warrant, to the grade of roadway deemed necessary. Even the new segments of 103 are two-lane controlled access, with at-grade junctions.

Should cannsf be blue, or teal?

(While I'm at it, I propose changing the system name from "Nova Scotia Provincial Freeways" to "Nova Scotia Arterial Routes". (Compare the recent renaming of "Quebec Freeways" to "Québec Autoroutes". The system code can stay as "cannsf" AFAIC; it doesn't affect anyone's list files or usage of the site in any substantial way.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:40:03 am by yakra »

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 08:48:57 pm
Re: cannsf: blue, or teal?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:18:49 pm »
I can get behind the name change.

However, I would argue that the fact that the entire system isn't freeway grade is not particularly different than with Autoroutes in Quebec (see: A-20 in Île-Perrot, the Bécancour A-30 segment, A-955, etc.)

We've left Quebec's Autoroutes blue. I'd say the same should logically apply in Nova Scotia.

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:October 15, 2017, 04:17:53 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:46:58 pm »
On the other hand, while the Autoroutes have some at-grades (so does the interstate system; see I-180), Nova Scotia's Arterials have almost the reverse freeway/not freeway ratio.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline julmac

• Last Login:October 13, 2017, 01:51:45 am
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:04:22 pm »
I would leave it as Tier 1 blue. They are functionally equivalent to the Interstate system, regardless of whether they are all complete freeways or not. (Same goes for QC Autoroutes and also the rare sections of Interstates that are not freeways).

Offline vdeane

• Last Login:October 15, 2017, 04:17:53 pm
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:59:58 pm »
Another point of contrast with the Autoroutes: every Autoroute was at least planned to be a full freeway at one time, even A-955.  As far as I know, the same is not true of Nova Scotia.

Either way, it should probably match whatever is decided for New Brunswick (if it gets split), since they're more similar to each other than anything else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 12:35:39 am
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:50 pm »
2 votes for leaving cannsf blue, with vdeane not explicitly voting teal*, but providing some counterarguments.
I'm fine leaving it as-is, and like the idea of just minimizing my changes to the status quo here.

Either way, it should probably match whatever is decided for New Brunswick (if it gets split), since they're more similar to each other than anything else.
Agreed. More to follow in the NB thread soon...

*unless I take the above quote in tandem with her stated NB preference
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:42:58 pm by yakra »