Author Topic: Texas systems  (Read 90 times)

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:56:15 am
Texas systems
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:57:11 am »
I also drove all of Park Road 46, with the standard square.  Are we currently not including such routes?
Currently not including them. They're considered their own system by TXDOT. It would be possible to add them (as their own discrete system would seem to make the most sense), but I haven't given the thought much more than a meh. It'd be a low priority, after the FM roads.

TXDOT system codes as listed here:

IH - Interstate Highway
        Active in usai.
US - US Highway
        Active in usaus.
UA - US Highway Alternate
        Active in usausb.
SH - State Highway
        Active in usatx.
SL/SS - State Highway Loops and Spurs
        Active in usatxl & usatxs. Considered one system by TXDOT; split into two for TM purposes.
BI - Off Interstate Business Route
        Active in usaib.
BS - Off State Business Route
        Active as bannered routes in usatx.
BU - Off US Business Route
        Active in usausb.

BF - Off Farm or Ranch to Market Road Business Route
        These would be included as bannered routes in the respective usatxf and usatxr systems.
UR - Urban Road
        These have been redesignated from the same-numbered FM or RM route.
        In the field, they're signed with an ordinary FM or RM shield; Joe Traveler will not be able to tell the difference.
        Active routes in the HB use FM42 and RM42 style labels for these intersections.
        The idea is to fold them into the usatxf or usatxr systems on a case-by-case basis.

RR - Ranch Road
        Quoth the glossary: "Only one?Ranch Road 1; considered part of the Farm to Market Road system."
        Odd; I have to wonder whether that's in error. Could maybe complicate my plans to include it with the RM roads.

FM - Farm to Market Road
        These would be included as usatxf. In the long-range plans.
RM - Ranch to Market Road
        These would be included as usatxr.In the long-range plans.
PR - Park Road
        Signed. Could conceivably be their own system. Low priority, after usatxf & usatxr.
RE - Recreation Road
        I forget whether these are signed.
PA - Principal Arterial State System
        Not signed AFAIK.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:11:06 am by yakra »

Offline michih

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 02:59:24 am
Re: Texas systems
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 03:02:45 am »
        These would be included as bannered routes in the respective usatxf or usatxr systems.

Do you suggest one or two systems?

RR - Ranch Road
        Quoth the glossary: "Only one?Ranch Road 1; considered part of the Farm to Market Road system."
        Odd; I have to wonder whether that's in error. Could maybe complicate my plans to include it with the RM roads.

I think it's only a "special" FM/RM route because it leads to the former ranch of a special person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranch_Road_1. I would put it to FM/RM system.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 01:56:15 am
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:34:50 am »
        These would be included as bannered routes in the respective usatxf or usatxr systems.
Do you suggest one or two systems?
Two. I've edited my previous post to read "and", not "or".

RR - Ranch Road
I think it's only a "special" FM/RM route because it leads to the former ranch of a special person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranch_Road_1. I would put it to FM/RM system.
Exactly. The only question here was which of the two; TXDOT's (erroneous?) description leads to a bit of confusion. As a RANCH (to Market) road would seem to make the most sense, wouldn't it. Plus, there's already an FM 1 elsewhere.
In any case, it looks to be signed with a perfectly normal RM style shield, so into usatxr it goes. (Much like I'm doing with the Urban Roads.)
BOOM!

Offline Duke87

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:12:17 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »
UR - Urban Road
        These have been redesignated from the same-numbered FM or RM route.
        In the field, they're signed with an ordinary FM or RM shield; Joe Traveler will not be able to tell the difference.
        Active routes in the HB use FM42 and RM42 style labels for these intersections.
        The idea is to fold them into the usatxf or usatxr systems on a case-by-case basis.

I support this approach. Precedent exists in usamts, where sections of Urban Routes that are signed as part of Secondary Routes are included in the system.

RE - Recreation Road
        I forget whether these are signed.

At least one is.