Author Topic: usaak (Alaska State Highways)  (Read 1204 times)

Online oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Today at 08:38:43 am
Re: usaak (Alaska State Highways)
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 12:07:52 am »
In any case, since he would now look at the HB and see a split route, he'd think he clinched it unless he somehow knew better (and unless he follows Alaska roads I doubt it; for most jurisdictions, TM is the only source I have on where routes go), and he'd get a VERY nasty surprise when the bridge reopened.

In many ways, this situation resembles the more common lower-48 scenario of a road with planned extensions. Sometimes, like with the various mutations of I-69, it's well known that any clinches of the segments now in the HB could be undone by new construction. In other cases, the future extensions are not as obvious. All the HB can do is to show what's currently open (subject to winter snow closures and the like), and leave it to the traveler to inquire about scenarios where the highway might get extended or (more rarely) truncated.

In this case, the HB as just updated does all that really can be done, by highlighting that something weird is going on with AK 10 in the Copper River delta, and that travelers should inquire further. They could start with checking the HB's Mapnik map, which shows the bridge that currently ends mid-river where its east end was scoured away. Smart Alaska travelers will also buy and review the annually-updated Milepost travel guide to Alaskan and other Arctic highways. Its Cordova writeup explains the route interruption in the delta, and provides info on how to get yourself (sans vehicle) around the closure in order to visit the Childs Glacier and the nearby historic Million Dollar Bridge.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:29:44 pm by oscar »