Author Topic: usaca (California State Highways), preview system  (Read 6384 times)

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:29:17 pm
Re: usaca (California State Highways), preview system
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2018, 09:19:34 am »
While I don't see anything wrong with I-10_W and I-10_E, might I-10(16B) and I-10(93) work?
By the CHM rules, as CA60 is an exit-numbered route, they should be 16B(10) and 93(10). But it's really dealers choice between any of the labelling options.

Offline si404

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:29:17 pm
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2018, 09:22:00 am »
For a route having two distinct exits on its own mainline, it's obnoxious that CalTrans opts to make CA 259 a hidden designation and sign it only as 'To CA 210' northbound, and more obnoxiously, as 'I-215' opposed to 'To I-215' from CA 210.
Shame it doesn't have a name for usasf.

Offline yakra

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 10:32:03 am
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2018, 11:28:15 am »
By the CHM rules, as CA60 is an exit-numbered route, they should be 16B(10) and 93(10).
Not quite: while it is an exit-numbered route, those are not exit-numbered points.
With no actual exit-numbers at these points, we instead fall back on "Intersections with visibly numbered highways" here.
Then, it's on to the rule about "If an exit numbered highway is a cross road twice, exit numbers in parentheses can be used to distinguish them."

But it's really dealers choice between any of the labelling options.
There's no "dealer's choice" here -- the manual says to "Choose the first type that applies."

For example:
https://github.com/TravelMapping/HighwayData/blob/master/hwy_data/MI/usai/mi.i475.wpt
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:30:20 am by yakra »

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:01:12 pm
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2018, 02:23:03 pm »
For a route having two distinct exits on its own mainline, it's obnoxious that CalTrans opts to make CA 259 a hidden designation and sign it only as 'To CA 210' northbound, and more obnoxiously, as 'I-215' opposed to 'To I-215' from CA 210.
I believe it's the northernmost portion of the San Bernardino Freeway.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 09:48:05 pm
    • Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2018, 03:46:27 pm »

I don't think so. The San Bernadino Freeway runs west-east, in the San Bernadino area along part of I-10 which is well south of CA 259. As far as I can tell, 259 has no name (which fits into my "glorified ramps" theory above).

I think even if it had a name, we'd be really straining here to include in usasf a route that is a numbered state highway, which would be in usaca if it had route number markers.

If we were going to stretch anything here, it should be our unsigned routes rule, based on that the route had route number markers about a decade ago, and the route number is shown on callbox signs (assuming that any callboxes remain on that route, since nowadays almost everybody has a cellphone). But CA 259 is just a crummy one mile long, hardly worth the trouble.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2018, 04:14:36 pm »
I-10(16B) and I-10(93) seconded. (Thirded?)

I'll add this to my queue. Also, Bickendan's suggested point addition to CA 1 in Santa Monica. I think CA 1 in Santa Barbara County needs a relabel for the point called 224 (looks like a fictitious exit number), and the corresponding point on CA 135.

Also, I-215(33) and pals -> 33(215) and pals.

I'm not yet on board for that part, which would need to be applied system-wide and probably to some active routes in California as well. Later.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2018, 09:26:14 pm »

I don't think so. The San Bernadino Freeway runs west-east, in the San Bernadino area along part of I-10 which is well south of CA 259. As far as I can tell, 259 has no name (which fits into my "glorified ramps" theory above).

I think even if it had a name, we'd be really straining here to include in usasf a route that is a numbered state highway, which would be in usaca if it had route number markers.

If we were going to stretch anything here, it should be our unsigned routes rule, based on that the route had route number markers about a decade ago, and the route number is shown on callbox signs (assuming that any callboxes remain on that route, since nowadays almost everybody has a cellphone). But CA 259 is just a crummy one mile long, hardly worth the trouble.
IIRC, the SBD Freeway runs east-west mostly along I-10 from US 101 to I-215, then north-south along I-215 to at least CA 259. I'll need to verify if CA 259 is part of the SBD on cahighways.org.

Offline Bickendan

• TM Collaborator
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:39 pm »
I-10(16B) and I-10(93) seconded. (Thirded?)

I'll add this to my queue. Also, Bickendan's suggested point addition to CA 1 in Santa Monica. I think CA 1 in Santa Barbara County needs a relabel for the point called 224 (looks like a fictitious exit number), and the corresponding point on CA 135.

Also, I-215(33) and pals -> 33(215) and pals.

I'm not yet on board for that part, which would need to be applied system-wide and probably to some active routes in California as well. Later.
I'm looking for CalTrans contact info to inquire about CA 1 '224', CA 60 '76', CA 126 '13', and CA 259. Unlike WSDOT and ODOT, CalTrans doesn't have a general inquiries email address, forcing me to find a contact person in the respective divisions.

Offline oscar

• TM Collaborator
  • TM Collaborator
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2018, 10:01:48 pm »
]I'm looking for CalTrans contact info to inquire about CA 1 '224', CA 60 '76', CA 126 '13', and CA 259. Unlike WSDOT and ODOT, CalTrans doesn't have a general inquiries email address, forcing me to find a contact person in the respective divisions.

Unless you have reason to think CA1(224) and CA60(76) are signed in the field (I don't recall seeing the latter when I was there last summer; my travels didn't take me to CA 1), since they aren't in CalNexus I see no reason to wait on my changes.